Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on new brake pads this afternoon. On the way home i was driving and heard a howling hoise. And when i stopped i smelled a burning smell and the rotors were kinda orangy and very hot. Is it just breaking in or did i do something wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The most likely cause is that the calipers are sticking and just holding the pads on the rotor. They are real easy to rebuild if you have an air compressor. with them getting that hot your going to need to get new rotors because they will have heat cracks and hotspots that make it impossible to have them turned. It might be easer to just replace the calipers and it would probely be faster and I don't think there that expensive either.
Good Luck
Joe

·
Banned
718 Posts
Front or rear?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe......

I looked somewhere else about what is going on and they said the first 100 miles on semi-metallic pads dont brake hard because there is a break in period. They said the noises are normal too. Still think I have problems? oh yeah, they are the rear ones. And I screwed the piston to the brake as far as it would go

·
Banned
718 Posts
I'm guessing you may have screwed up the hand brake cable. Is it twisted or routed improperly? Jack up the one wheel, put the trans in neutral, e-brake off and see if you can turn the wheel by hand. There will be some resistance from the drivetrain but you should have no trouble turning it if everything is OK. Hope this helps. One more thing, did you put the nipple on the brake shoe in the slot on the caliper piston?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
you prolly needed to screw the piston in farther.

all my friends that i work on their mustang rear brakes say, that should be far enough, but it always needs to go farther in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mgranzow

I went ahead and took everything off, and put it back on and screwed the piston in just a wee bit further, fit like a charm. The right rear didnt do so bad going on and I think that is why. The left one was the one that turned a lil orange. The reason it turned orange besides the piston was i think because i put on brakes hard in front of my house. Today i drove it and no colors, and less burning smell, and the rotors are fine, so i think im ok. Knock on wood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts