Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im looking for a new tranny in my 96 GT

I just want some suggestions of some trannys i can put in id like to put in the T56 but what are the cons of this tranny??

Id also like to know of some sites i can go to that sell trannys and that would tell me everything i need to do the swap thanx for the help

·
Registered
82 Posts
dude, only one thing to do:

get a t-56 and 4.30 or maybe even 4.56 gears.

this way your 6th is alot more useable and youll get great accelleration.

i mean, if you get a new tranny why not go all the way? the new cobras have t-56 so if its good enough for cobra, its good enough for gt (or saleen):cool:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well id like to go with one what would the cost be on the total conversion of one and wheres a site i can go to do buy it and also see the complete list of parts ill need for the conversion

what would the next best tranny to get under the T56???

·
Registered
50 Posts
D&D-2000 1996-1998 2V Mustang T-56 Transmission Kit $2899.99

All kits are complete and come with a T-56 6-Speed Transmission, Aluminum Driveshaft, Crossmember Kit, and where necessary, Clutch Fork and Speedo Cable

Source is D&D Performance. I've heard nothing but good things about them. This price is through Need for Speed.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will NEVER deal with need for speed again sorry, is D&D associated with them?? and that price is pretty steep i didnt expect it to be that much what would the next best tranny be but better then the T45???

·
Registered
261 Posts
Depends on what you wanna do with the car. the Tremec TKO or 3550 will probably be good for you. I personnally would go with the TKO, which is beefed up 3550 basically. YOu would need a new clutch for the TKO though due to the 26 spline input shaft.

David

·
Registered
300 Posts
i got my t-56 through D&D performance. His son has the pro 5.0 car in all the procharger banners on this site(White with flames). They are not assoicated with need for speed. The transmission alone through D&D is $2,000. Plus you get free shipping. You have to get a cross member(03 cobra), have a custom drive shaft made, a shifter, and buy the transmission wiring harness. This is the bare minumum that you need if you are able to use existing parts from your car. Not to mention a clutch and other things you are going to have to replace.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Decide on which tranny you want,

It seems you will not be going with the T-56 because of the price. Your other options are the TKO or the 3550. But you will need a bell-housing, either Tremec or the Lakewood.

The TKO, as David stated, you will need a differnt clutch disk, but you can use your exsisting drive shaft and yoke. Since your Stang is a 96 GT, you will not have to re-locate your tranny crossmember for the 3550 or TKO. The 3550 you will need a different yoke (28 spline)and a drive shaft spacer.

Torque specs.

3550 = 350 or 400 ftlb (not sure)
TKO = 490 ftlb
T-56 = 450 ftlb.

Until you decide on which tranny, a detailed response would be a waste of time..Good-Luck on your choice...PBWY

·
Registered
451 Posts
Trans

Decide what you want to do with the car..

Race only- TKO
Strip/Street-T-56
Street only- 3550/3650

I personally went with the Tremec T-56 mainly for the reputation of Tremec and the T-56 itself.

The above posts that stated you will need a different clutch disk are false. I reused my Centerforce Dual Friction that I had for over a year and a half, but shortly after had to buy a Spec Stage II setup due to an ate up TOB

If you do decide on going with the T-56.. you can find it sometimes on sale for around $2300 like I did :)

I went ahead and bought a pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage II clutch/pressure plate/TOB, 96-98 Cobra X-Member, Redline ATF trans fluid, A custom built driveshaft made from my original 96, and Motorsport 4.30's.

The 56, comes with an integrated bellhousing, so purchasing that will not be required.

Lastly, one more benefit to the integrated bell, is that you can remove your trans without having to remove LT Headers!!!! Best bang for the buck and will hopefully be the last transmission I buy for my car

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im looking for a tranny for daily driving im not gonna see the track much at all but i need it to be able to handle 500rwhp and be dependable and would also like the cheaper way to go if the T56 is really that much what is the next best tranny? is it the TKO or the tremec 3650 or 3550??? i know nothing about trannys so sorry for my ignorance lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
to me it sounds like you will want a 3550. You can have your transmission upgraded to handle that kind of rear wheel horsepower. I wanna say $400 to upgrade it to 450 lbs. torque, but Im not sure on the price.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The above posts that stated you will need a different clutch disk are false.
Actually Desnudo01, your statement is a false statememt. The TKO will need a different clutch disk. The standard 3550 and the T-56 can use any clutch disk that works with a 3650 or a T-45.

Saleenmustang281, If you want a tranny that will support 500 rwhp, than the TKO or the T-56 will do the job. The standard 3550 isnt that much stronger than the t-45 or the 3650..PBWY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts