Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I did want to toss in my opinion on the ugrages I've done recently and get some feedback on some other upgrades that I am considering. I had the work done at APEX Motorsports in Santa Clara, CA and so far have been really pleased with them. So far I have done the M/M Caster Camber plates, Griggs specific rate coil over kit in front and Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks and subframe connectors. A week later I did the Pro 5.0 shifter and the brake upgrade which includes Hawk High Performance pads and High temp brake fluid with the braided steel line upgrade that should have been stock...I never will get that one!

Any way I am very pleased with the difference in this car and just about emptied my bladder on a rather vigorous run up the local mountain road since the input and output of the suspension was in noway related to it's previous performance. I came home surprised and really feeling like I had spent some good dollars. The only problem is that now I've got a severe case of Moditis, which is contagious and exponentially expensive as it progresses to take over the primary reasoning processes in the brain. How much will it cost me to satisfy these now deepseated compultions for better handling and more speed.

I really havn't gotten into the speed enhancements yet...I thought that I'd better start by getting the suspension ready for it. Right now I am planning to stay al' natural' and just try some bolt ons for performance gain, ie, a good cold air kit...preferably one that connects into the fenderwell, probably some pulleys and an X pipe for starters. Based on a pre and post mod dyno run, I will decide whether or not a custom chip would be much help. I am hearing both customers and technicians saying that there may not be enough gains available at a near stock set up to justify the expense. So is 300-500 in custom tuning worth 15-30 horses? Probably.

Well...I do go on. Any feedback or similar experiences would be a help, since I am in the process now. Oh, one last question. Are any of you guys out there running a setup with your tires where you are wearing more meat at the rears rather than at the front? For instance, the stock 245/45 17 up front and a 275/40/17 in the rear? I am thinking about this and am wondering what I give up in tire life by not being able to rotate through the tire life, etc.

Ok enough from me...you probably fell asleep trying to read this novel, but if you did, a response or two would be welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the input. It really helped.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
from what i hear, for better hanlding go with Griggs. since you are in the bay area, you should stop by their shop. its at sears point in Sonoma. they are very pricy, but i see you go to Apex so you shouldn't mine:D . i plan to get the torque arm and panhard bar later down the road. i think their website is www.griggsracing.com. check them out.

as for other mods, i would go with 4.10s, x-pipe, catback if you dont have it already, steeda pulleys, and upr powerpipe. good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Scott-definitely go to the 275-40 on the rear and stay 245-45 up front. Viper and C5 have done that for years--it really helps--the way we eat tires the rotation part is no biggie--you are right about the money--it is a very expensive hobby--good luck ratman

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Wake that bad boy up with a good mod:

GEARS!

No less than 4.10's on a Cobra.....4.30's preferably! The Cobras really like those gears...

I run 245/45/17's in front and 275/40/17's in back, but since I have just gotten DR's for the track, when I get new tires for the street I'm going to go back to all stock size all the way around...I really couldn't tell you if the bigger tires out back help, cause mine are crappy General tires (on the car when I bought it)...they don't do too bad though when it's dry I guess...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scott98Cobra said:
The only problem is that now I've got a severe case of Moditis, which is contagious and exponentially expensive as it progresses to take over the primary reasoning processes in the brain. How much will it cost me to satisfy these now deepseated compultions for better handling and more speed.
Wonderful! I really don't have any advice, accept that I agree with your order of mods. Actually, I just ordered about a thousands buck of suspension last night :joy: As for tires, I'm running 275's (off my Surpa) in the back and stock 245's on the front. I'm switching them all to the same size for auto-x at some point though. I heard it's a better balance with equal tire traction at each corner. I know plenty of people who run different sizes, though, and seem to like it. Good luck with your mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts