Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my '89 GT, with all the machining, new pistons, rings etc.. I looked at my cam and it has some wear on the lobes and a little on the bearing surfices. will that screw up the cam bearings? If so, what would be a good cam for a stock motor? I am going to change it later when I do the old H/C/I. Please help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
forget any alphabet cam. Stay with the stock until you get some more flow then look into a more modern profile such as a comp cam extreme cam or a trick flow st. 1. there are more out there obviously but these will far outperform a b or e

Adam

·
Registered
452 Posts
You should be able to reuse the stock cam unless the wear was due to debris in the engine or not changing the oil. If there is any doubt, have the shop that's doing your engine block machining look at the cam.
Stock cams work great on stock engines. Too bad your going to be changing the combo later on. I hate doing things in stages. I only like to R+R parts once.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thats the thing about doing a complete rebuild. Just getting the block and heads machined and ready to assemble pretty much kills you finance wise(me anyway) So the rest of the stuff will have to wait. But thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
35,051 Posts
It's pretty easy to polish out minor imperfections before you put it back in. Pick up some 1500 grit sandpaper. Cut it into strips about as wide as a lobe or journal. Lube the journal with a little wd40. Use a leather boot lace and wrap it all the way around the journal or lobe with the sandpaper underneath it. As you alternate pulls on the leather, you'll polish the journal/lobe right up. 1500 is very fine so you won't leave any scratches - but you can use a bit of metal polish after the sandpaper if you like. Journals/lobes will be smooth as a baby's butt and appear like chrome. Ready to roll for the next 100k or until you replace it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks a lot Michael, that was the kind of reply I was looking for. You other guys, thanks for nothing! J/K, thanks to every one. I love all yous guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts