Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I bought my tremec used, and it was a little beat on. The rear output seal leaks and every now and then it grinds going into 2nd, and will not downshift into 3rd.
At some point I am going to yank the drivetrain out of the car (to do a motor) I was thinking at that time I could either: a. take it somewhere have it rebuilt, b. send it to tremec and have it rebult, or c. rebuild it myself.
anyone done this? What would I be looking to get myself into if I decided to do it myself. I have seen a cut away of a trans and they quite a few peices.
If I was to do it and want it to be worth a dern would I need some specail tools for measuring out stuff?
Are there guides for doing this?
Would you trust yourself to do this project?
Is there an upgrade kit for the 3550 I can install during the process that would make it beefier?

TIA!
michael :joy:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Call around to some local transmission shops and ask for quotes on rebuilding it. Unless you have rebuilt manual transmissions before or have someone watching over your shoulder who has done them before, I wouldn't recommend it. (You will need a gear press on some of the tear down and installation)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts