Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 302 with CFI out an '87 cougar... The person I bought it from said he was told that it runs great, was pulled because he wanted the transmission from the car...

The engine is really dirty, covered in sludge... So I'm planning to rebuild it...

What type of rebuild kit should I buy? What things should I have the machine shop do/check for? Anything I shouldn't reuse from the motor? etc... Anything I should be prepared to buy or do when it comes to this?

Where's a cheap place for engine rebuild kits?

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd first get some kerosene or cleaning solvent or degreaser and take it to the quarter car wash and brush and scrape and defug the outside before working on it then I'd get some containers and baggies an a indellable marker and masking tape to mark and seperate the bolts and parts as you begin to take it apart. have some rags and pans of solvent to clean the crud of some of the parts as you take it apart. get a set of number punches and mark your rod and main caps and to put a number of your own on the block where machining won't be done. disasemble the block carefully making notes where everthing goes and mark them with the tape and marker. look at the bearings and crank surfaces the cylinders for scars and the ridge created by wear at the top of the cylinders. Take a steel straight edge and check the deck of the block and heads for warpage, pull all the plugs water jacket and oil galley. If the blocks in decent shape take it to a machine shop and have them clean it and magnaflux it for cracks and they have the measuring instruments to further tell you what shape it's in and what you'll need to have machined. Summit Racing Equiptment has some real reasonable and good rebuild performance parts and kits. Just depends on how deep your pockets are the skies the limit on how far you want to go! Theres also Jegs, Speed-o- motive . If this is your first engine take your time and get a couple of books and read up and understand your engine and the machine process And I can't emphesize look carefully and mark and keep seperate the parts and bolts and fasteners don't throw anything away til your done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts