Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have an extreme mismatched system that is driving me nuts. My system is compiled of left overs I had when I worked at a stereo shop. Well I am scraping all of it except my 5 1/4 Quarts in the doors. I will be adding probably Quart tweeters in the dash to replace the full range 3 1/2s. Also I will be running the fronts off of a Alpine CDA 7893 head unit.

Now for my question, I have absolutely no idea what to do for the rear. I don't much care for rear fill but I need some bass and 5x7s just don't cut it. What I wanted to do was to put a pair of free air 8's and mount them where the 5x7's are and run a small amp to them. However, I can't seem to find any free airs other than Pioneer, which I don't really want. I am also considering 6x9 woofers and modifying them to fit. Curious what everyones suggestions might be. Weight is a big issue since the car is a weekend car and has been put on a diet so my trunk is stripped except for a bottle and more than likely the battery (if I get motivated) but I do need a little bass.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You could get away with a very small volume enclosure with a pair of 8" subs. Fosgate PunchZ 8's are very cost effective and are intended for .1-.5 cubic-foot sealed enclosures - You'll have a little trouble finding an enclosure that small - But when you do (Or just build one your self) It will be small and reasonably light. Free air subs are virtually worthless if you ask me - The quality of the sound you'll get from a sealed enclosure will so far surpass free air drivers - It's difficult to compare them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, i've never actually heard free airs before, but the concept seemed cool

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Look on ebay for a pair of Orion XTR 8inch midbass speakers, they also have 6 inch which would work better. They usualyy are referred to as "Orion XTR 8MB" or "...6MB" for the 6 inch model. They are free air but enclosing them would work better, they are also designed with a shallow mounting depth. The 8's sell for like $69 a pair new on ebay....when I bought mine ~5 years ago I paid $80 each!
You'll have to feed them the kitchen sink power wise so I hope you don't plan to run them off your head unit

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pioneer makes a specific free-air sub; check Crutchfield for the right part. The rear deck has a pair of square openings in the middle of the deck, between the 5x7's; you can just fit a pair of medium sized 12" subs in there, bolted up from under the deck. Attach some 1/2" foam rubber weather stripping around the face of the speaker rim so it seals up nice and gives the cone room to move under the deck.

Not ideal from a purest standpoint, but it works amazingly well :joy: Even with just a basic after-market deck and no amp it really rounds out the system- I did this in college with a pair of Cerwin Vega 12's (later replaced with 12" MTX units) in a '90 notch (neither speaker was free-air rated). I'm actually doing the same thing this afternoon to the '91 notch with a pair of 10" Sony Explod's

·
Registered
3 Posts
6x9 subs

:p I put some nice 6x9s in the rear when i had a coupe. Just mount them from the bottom and youwill be fine. It takes a lot less work than cutting out a hole in your rear deck and it will help resale, if you ever have to. Also, make sure to sound deaden both sides of the baffle as to stop unwanted resonance. will also help with flex.
:cool: Kicker made some 6x9 subs a while ago, just look on ebay for them, much better idea than cutting large holes in strutural supports. Been there, done that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts