Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REar End questions

I Am building an 83 mustang with a 502 in it. I plan on running mid 11's, but my big problem is that I have a 7.5 rear end, and thats not gonna work. So my question is do I need to get an 8.8" or a 9" rear end? I am cheap, so I want the cheapest and easiest way to do it. Can I pull them out of cars at junkyards, or do I have to go and buy a new one? Where can I find cheap ones?

·
Registered
779 Posts
A 502 on slicks will likely break any factory 8.8, especially 28 spline axles. That said, you can find a 3.55 28 spline trac lock under 87-88 TurboCoupe Tbirds and a 3.27 28 spline trac lock under LSC Lincoln Mark VIIs. Both are affordable in the junk yard and bolt into a Fox using your existing 7.5" brakes and axles. You might have to upgrade to 31 spline Trac-loc from a Fseries truck and aftermarket axles, but the gears should be OK I would think. Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are you saying that I could use an 8.8 with 31 spline axles?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Get an 8.8 rear and put in 31 splines or bigger axles and spool and bolt it on. Spool is cheaper than posi traction carrier.

Ford 9 inch rear are harder to find now and be prepare to spent big bucks on complete rear assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it be able to handle 11s with 500 plus HP?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.