Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I think I am done adding horsepower for now. I am adding long tubes, off road X pipe, and cat back to go with the mods in my signature. Then I am going to get a better, less conservative, tune. I should be right around 450 - 460 rear wheel horsepower. That is okay for now, I always want more but I think it is time to concentrate on some other aspects of the car.

On that note, I just ordered Maximum Motorsports' K member, A arms, coil overs, CC plates, and Tokico 5 way adjustable shocks/struts. I already have MM's full length zinc coated subframe connectors and an Autopower 4 point roll bar. I have also just purchased a set of Baer 13" brakes for the front and a set of rotors and pads for the back.

Now my question; what rear suspension setup should I go with? My car is used as my everyday driver as well as drag strip duty and once or twice a year on a road course. So whatever I go with needs to be very well rounded.

I have narrowed it down to either: a MM's torque arm, panhard bar, and lower control arms to go with the Tokicos or Steeda's 5 link setup. Which setup would be best for over all performance and a daily driver? I know the Steeda setup does well on a road course but how is it on the drag strip or around town? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated. If you have any suggestions other then the two listed, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derrick

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on, I know some of you have some experience with these setups. :joy:

Derrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
MM

I have the full MM rear suspension setup and love it. It is a great performer.

Of course you know the trade off; increased RHV. I noticed the most differnce with the Rear LCA. That seemed to transfer driveline noise. I also I have a squeek that bugs me.

I recently ordered a boat load of sound dampening and sound deadening material to install in the 'Stang. That sould knock down that problem considerable, I'm hoping it'll turn the thing into a MB (noise comfort wise). By the way I planned on adding the sound deadening material long before upgrading the suspension (3rd Mustang and I'm tired of the racket---crappy So. Cal. roads LOL).

Stable, predictable, plantable......youv'e heard all the adjectives before. They are true. Would I do the mods again??? In a New York minute my friend.

I live in San Pedro, if you want you can check out my ride. If interested, just PM me.

Hop

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I was once thinking about the MM or the Steeda 5-link set-up as well. But you may want to check if there will be any clearance issues with your aftermarket catback. If I remember correctly, Magnaflows won't clear the MM set-up, and you'll have to run dumps. I'm not sure about Steeda.

There may also be clearance issues with aftermarket axles, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I know that the stock tailpipes work with the MM setup but aftermarket ones may not. I know for a fact that with the Steeda setup you need to use dumps or a side exhaust, neither one of which I like. Hoppy, which tailpipes are you using with the MM setup? Are you using the stock pipes, dumps, or side exhaust? Or maybe you have found an aftermarket tailpipe that works? As of right now, I have the stock tailpipes with the flowmaster mufflers welded in, if I need to I will stay with the stock tailpipes and just get quieter mufflers.

Derrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm using the MagnaFlow cat back system. I do believe there was a slight fitment issue, that was easily remedied. I was real lazy on this install and didn't inspect afterwards....... Just wanted to drive after I heard the muffler gut start the car up. I will take pics next time it's on the rack so I can post. I have been asked this before also.

Hop

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoppy said:
I'm using the MagnaFlow cat back system. I do believe there was a slight fitment issue, that was easily remedied. I was real lazy on this install and didn't inspect afterwards....... Just wanted to drive after I heard the muffler gut start the car up. I will take pics next time it's on the rack so I can post. I have been asked this before also.

Hop
Thanks that would be great. So did you have to pinch the pipe or bend it a little? As long as it fits and does not constantly make a banging noise then it's okay.

Derrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ain't gonna BS ya, I don't know exactly what they did.

I live in San Pedro if you wan't to check out the MM suspension. Just PM me.
Hop

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoppy said:
I ain't gonna BS ya, I don't know exactly what they did.

I live in San Pedro if you wan't to check out the MM suspension. Just PM me.
Hop
Thanks, I just might take you up on that! :joy:

Derrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
Derrick,
OK, I got a look under the car as it was in the air for a bad squeak issue that was finally fixed!!! :)

The panhard bar was in place already so the shop cut the pipe, placed the pipe, and weld the pipe together. I don't think there is an issue with these parts if the exhaust is in place prior to the installation of the PH bar. Others may offer a more illuminated opinion on this.

The other fitment problem was at the torque arm. The shop took the easy way out and trimmed the right flange that was touching the TA brace. They should have cut the flanges out and moved them back about 4-6" to really clear the TA and also clean it up appearence wise.

I have a couple of pics if you want to see just PM me with an email address.

Hop

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoppy said:
Derrick,
OK, I got a look under the car as it was in the air for a bad squeak issue that was finally fixed!!! :)

The panhard bar was in place already so the shop cut the pipe, placed the pipe, and weld the pipe together. I don't think there is an issue with these parts if the exhaust is in place prior to the installation of the PH bar. Others may offer a more illuminated opinion on this.

The other fitment problem was at the torque arm. The shop took the easy way out and trimmed the right flange that was touching the TA brace. They should have cut the flanges out and moved them back about 4-6" to really clear the TA and also clean it up appearence wise.

I have a couple of pics if you want to see just PM me with an email address.

Hop
Hop,

Thanks for the info! One question, what was the squeak and how did you fix it? I have a darn squeak in the back that I can't isolate and it is really pissing me off!!!:mad:

The pictures would be great! Please send them to: [email protected] .

Thanks again,
Derrick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts