Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the IRS swap into a 94-95? If so what lowering springs did you use?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm in the process of doing both my '95s. Both are getting MM coil overs, 550 lbs./in track car, 500 lbs./in. daily driver.

Jay

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hoping to do my 94 next year. I would ask the guys at Maximum. I’ve spoken to them about doing the swap and their tech guys seem to know a fair amount about it. There are some bushings you should swap while the irs is out of the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the swap is already done and the car tracks perfectly. I did replace all bushings with full tilt boogie racing bushings I'm just not liking the stance. Not sure if the cobra springs are to tall or just to stout for a 94.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would like to do this to 94 as well. How is the ride compared to the solid axel?
Overrated probably? I imagine one could accomplish the same with shocks/struts, springs, and a decent rear control arm setup. If you want to handle even better get a panhard bar. The solid axle will be better for off the line grip, and with aftermarket parts it’ll handle well as well.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Overrated probably? I imagine one could accomplish the same with shocks/struts, springs, and a decent rear control arm setup. If you want to handle even better get a panhard bar. The solid axle will be better for off the line grip, and with aftermarket parts it’ll handle well as well. I don’t race a road course or auto cross, but I’ve never felt that it was lacking in the handling department going around corners on public roads in a brisk manner. If I give it too much gas (either from a stand still or cornering) the rear end will come around. But I bet a panhard bar will help that. It didn’t come around so easy prior to the supercharger, and the j&m rear control arms tamed it a lot.
IRS- What for?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Overrated probably? I imagine one could accomplish the same with shocks/struts, springs, and a decent rear control arm setup. If you want to handle even better get a panhard bar. The solid axle will be better for off the line grip, and with aftermarket parts it’ll handle well as well. I don’t race a road course or auto cross, but I’ve never felt that it was lacking in the handling department going around corners on public roads in a brisk manner. If I give it too much gas (either from a stand still or cornering) the rear end will come around. But I bet a panhard bar will help that. It didn’t come around so easy prior to the supercharger, and the j&m rear control arms tamed it a lot.
IRS- What for?
A lot of people are misinformed about the SN95 chassis.

The 1994-1998 Saleen S351 mustangs were tested as handling better than the comparable year Porsche 911 as the Saleens were equipped with conventional stock style lowering springs, racecraft shocks, and stock 4 link with a panhard bar. The Saleen S351's were very successful on the track, and beat a good number of Porsche 911's.

The stock 1995 Cobra R Mustang with conventional eibach lowering springs, and Koni Yellow shocks with stock 4 link, no panhard bar pulled a .96 g during road tests on stock tires. That's almost just as good as a 2018 S550 GT mustang that pulls .98 g on the skid pad. The 1995 Cobra R is lighter than the S550, and the 1995 Saleen S351 is even lighter than the Cobra R.

I'm certain my 1995 GT pulls more than 1 g in the corners. My car has Eibach prokit springs, Tokico blues, MM rear lower control arms, MM subframe connectors, Upper/Lower MM front Chassis braces, and Polyurethane swaybar bushings/end links... I'm also pretty sure my T1 wing pushes the ass end down quite a bit. My Nitto 555 G2 tires also made a huge difference. The rear of my car does not break loose in corners, or get sideways like it did when it was on stock suspension. Modern tires do wonders for these cars. My car also puts down 357 lbs of torque to the rear wheels.

With that said the IRS is a great swap for people who want a less bumpy ride, or a better handling ride at the limit, but only if you upgrade the bushings. I'd think that if you were tracking the car an IRS with upgraded bushings would be Ideal. However I know the solid axle Griggs GR40 96 Cobra is quite possibly one of the best handling cars in the world. So I don't know, it's all up to preference.

·
Registered
993 Posts
A lot of people are misinformed about the SN95 chassis.

The 1994-1998 Saleen S351 mustangs were tested as handling better than the comparable year Porsche 911 as the Saleens were equipped with conventional stock style lowering springs, racecraft shocks, and stock 4 link with a panhard bar. The Saleen S351's were very successful on the track, and beat a good number of Porsche 911's.

The stock 1995 Cobra R Mustang with conventional eibach lowering springs, and Koni Yellow shocks with stock 4 link, no panhard bar pulled a .96 g during road tests on stock tires. That's almost just as good as a 2018 S550 GT mustang that pulls .98 g on the skid pad. The 1995 Cobra R is lighter than the S550, and the 1995 Saleen S351 is even lighter than the Cobra R.

I'm certain my 1995 GT pulls more than 1 g in the corners. My car has Eibach prokit springs, Tokico blues, MM rear lower control arms, MM subframe connectors, Upper/Lower MM front Chassis braces, and Polyurethane swaybar bushings/end links... I'm also pretty sure my T1 wing pushes the ass end down quite a bit. My Nitto 555 G2 tires also made a huge difference. The rear of my car does not break loose in corners, or get sideways like it did when it was on stock suspension. Modern tires do wonders for these cars. My car also puts down 357 lbs of torque to the rear wheels.

With that said the IRS is a great swap for people who want a less bumpy ride, or a better handling ride at the limit, but only if you upgrade the bushings. I'd think that if you were tracking the car an IRS with upgraded bushings would be Ideal. However I know the solid axle Griggs GR40 96 Cobra is quite possibly one of the best handling cars in the world. So I don't know, it's all up to preference.
Preference and marketing I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts