Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 15 mile test drive today, consisted of local roads and highway. I just installed a new Detroit TrueTrac in the rear of a 96 Mustang GT.

As soon as I pulled out of my street I started hearing the grinding and cracking noises that a lot of ppl commented on - but after 3 miles it no longer made any noise.

I get some tire scrubbing if I take a corner and goose the throttle a bit. And for stoplight racing, I can break both tires loose and get nice chirping (I didn't try to do any burnouts just yet) on both sides.

BUT here's the problem:
In reverse, if I gun the throttle to get both tires to break loose, the entire rear end starts shaking like its falling apart. but if I try not to break the tires loose in reverse, and I can drive as fast as 15 mph - I get no abnormal sound/vibration. Its only if I break loose the tires in reverse.

Is this a problem? Or just a normal break-in issue? Or something I shouldn't do even if its broken in?

In forward gear, if I break loose the tires I get no abnormal vibration or sounds other than the chirping noise of the tires.

BTW I'm using 2 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 and 1 quart of Pennzoil Super 75w-90 for the break-in lube.

After 500 miles I'm putting a new gasket plus 3 qt of Redline 75W-90 (yeah I'm re-using the Victor Reinz gasket that I installed 2 years ago. So far not a leak).

At high speeds, I hear no abnormal noise (the wind noise was loud so if the gears were howling I couldn't make it out).

I had to re-adjust the parking brake and flush/bleed the brakes also (side jobs that could have been prevented).

But so far its awesome. I no longer hear any cracking/grinding noises though......

·
Registered
647 Posts
it's probably just wheel hop going backwards....it'll make you think you broke somethin' :D , but unless it's doin' it in both directions i wouldn't be two worried about it.....just wait till you've finished the prescribed breakin process for anymore antics!!:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts