Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took tint off my car about two years ago and about two months after that my rear defrost has not worked. The light comes on when you push the button but it seems as though no power is going to the window. On my last stang if you looked real close you could see the which defrost strips were broken, so I look at the ones on my car now and all appear to be fine. Also, my dad used his multimeter and it appeared to find no dead posts. Did he somehow test it wrong or could my problem lie elsewhere. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If he found no dead posts (spots?), did he mention that it is even getting voltage?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
mustangcobra93 said:
I don't really know how those things operate
You have voltage applied to one side, ground to the other. The conductive paint (thin lines running from one side to the other) act as a resistor. A resistor creates heat.

If you do not have voltage, or the ground is bad, they won't get hot. Wish I could help more. Your dad (or someone who knows how to read a multimeter) needs to check for good 12 volts at one end and good ground at the other. I'm thinking the paint is broken near the grounding side from when you pulled the tint off.

Go CARDS! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
:cool: the test is: 1)check for voltage with your multimeter on the ground and hot side of the window with the switch on. 2) while it is on, go up the sides to see it you still have voltage 3) if you sill have voltage, leave your ground clipped to the ground of the window and take the positive and check at the center of each line and see if you have voltage. if you are not getting anything off the glass before all this, i would say that when you took off the tint you took off the material that makes the lines. you could look at the lines from inside the car looking outwards but that doesnt always hold true. this is from the ford technical manual on rear defrosters. good luck.:joy:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your probably gonna have redo the lines. I have the same problem as you do with your rear defrost. The previous owner decided when they were going to remove the tint that they would scrape off the lines where the conductive paint is also applied. I live without it. The make repair and install kits. I spent several hours repair the defroster on my bronco 2 and it still doesnt completely work. I would say maybe find an auto glass shop and have them see what they can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts