Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm putting new brake pads on my car and am having a hell of a time with the rears. I can't get the caliper piston to compress at all to get the caliper over my new pads. Any ideas? I usually use a C-clamp and a piece of wood over the piston to protect it, but I can't get it to budge. Do I need to do anything with the e-brake?
Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
dont use the c-clamp or anything like that. The caliper piston are threaded into the calipers. You need a tool that turns the piston clockwise to seat the piston.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I buy the tool on a weekend?

Ford parts dept. has banker hours and I need to get this job done this weekend? Any ideas

·
Registered
86 Posts
most parts stores have it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool I will try a parts store

I called Trek Auto before I posted my second message and they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess I will head up there and see if they have it. Thanks for you help

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the tool BUT!!! more questions

I bought the tool, will at least a tool that will work in turning the pistons, but the pistons don't seem to be moving back so I can get the caliper over the pads. Any ideas or do I just have to keep turning the pistons. They are slowing moving sum-*****es.

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its take alot of turning to seat the pistons. keep turnin em clockwise and pushin them in at the same time. When they're seated set the piston notches so the pads will line up with em.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I did the rears, I didn't even use the right tool and I accomplished it in a relatively short period of time. You should be able to see noticable changes even for just a few turns. It took me a long time because I didn't have the ideal tool, but it still only took 10 or 15 minutes to get them seated all the way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
turning, turning. turning

What happens if the piston will not seat itself? Do I need to rebuild them. I tried both sides and am having problems with both. I think I've turned them at least 10 or more 360 degree revolutions clockwise. You would think that I would be able to see some difference by now. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but how can I be turning the piston wrong? Please help need to get these things done today. It would suck to put the old pads back on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is how I did it. Use some wire to hold up the caliper as tight as you can. Then I also held it with my foot/feet to keep it from moving. While doing this, use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it in. It is a pain in the ass and may take a while, but it will work. You may have to turn a while and take a breather because it will really give your forearms a workout.
Good luck and just be patient.

Vince

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm finally done with the rear- Now for the fronts

I had to disconnect the brake line. After I did that the piston twisted to its proper place fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts