Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal, i've got a totally stock 88 gt with 189k miles on it now. I bought teh car stripped and put a new drivetrain in it, the trans now has about 100k on it and the engine/rear have about 85k on them. Heres the problem, my REAR tires keep wearing out on the outside edges. I put the car together and put NEW yokohama s306's (225/65/15) all the way around. I noticed the car handling funny last night on some wet roads and yesterday at lunch i've been hearing a 'clunking' noise on med/light braking from the right rear. I looked at the tires today and the outside edge is nearly worn off both tires, the right being the worst. It did this on another set of rear tires after i put it together too about about 10k miles, and i'm up to about the same mileage on these 2. Now i will admit, when i put the tires on first they were new, but i stuck em on my 89lx for about 5k miles cause it needed tires and i wasn't driving this one, so i assumed that was the cause of these rears going at first (they were on the front of the lx.) I got new ones and now its the same thing again. I looked under the car and all of the upper/lower bolts appear to be in and in place, the rear doesn't seem to be in the car at any weird angles or anything either and i have honestly NEVER smoked the tires in this thing. Any ideas wtf might be worn out on this thing? i'm at a loss other than perhaps the axle may be bent from the crash in the previous car (tho it was a front end hit.) The front end IS out of alignment a bit, it pulls to the left, but i'm not getting any weird wear out of the front tires. The struts were put on used with about 10k on them at the time, so about 25k now. The shocks are off of the LX and were in proper working condition, though i don't know how many miles are on them. Ideas? I need to figure this thing out, the tires have 55k mi gaurantee, but i don't want to keep paying $70 every 10k miles for replacement tires (prorated on the mileage) plus the tire shop will probably start giving me a hard time if i show up every 10k miles for replacements.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts