Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Mustang that has a stock bottom end

the mods include:
E7TE heads, C5 transmission, 600cfm Carter Carb, performer intake, 4-6psi Carter electric fuel pump, 3.73 gears.

Ive always been a huge fan of junkyard turbosetups on carbd V8 engines, and Id love to run a turbo on my engine...theres a few things keeing me from doing it though:

1st off, I think my compession is too high. I have E7 heads on flat-top pistons. If my carb isnt adjusted right I get bad detonation as it is. Part of that is probaly because my carb isnt tuned right for the engine I imagine.. Im guessing the compression is about 10:1
Is that too high for a turbo?..Im pretty certain its too high for twin turbos which is why Im not even humoring that option..A single is all Im thinking of.

Would my 4-6psi fuel pump be enough for a turbo? Ive had a gauge on it and it puts out a pretty steady 5psi at idle.

Also Im not sure how my Carter(edelbrock basically) 600cfm carb would handle boost. Anyone know?
I assume it would have to be jetted much richer. I can get an air/fuel gauge to try to work that out though.

As far as what turbo and intercooler I want to go with..It will probaly be one from a t-bird coupe or a 2.2l dodge. I always see lots of turbo doges at the junkyard. Intercoolers arent too uncommon to find either.. Would either of those be a good choice?

Im not looking to make a ton of horsepower with this...just something to make it different from other stangs and give me around 300hp.

Any input that can be provided is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hey, ill try to help as much as possible, although im not a carb man, ill try to help you in the right direction, im starting to turbo conversion right now on my 87. my best advice is to go to www.turbomustangs.com and post this there, they have a special forum for turbo carb's, as for size, id imagine a single t3 from a t-bird would be too small, im going to be running a twin t3 setup with .42/.48's so they spool very quickly, some guys are trying to run powerstroke singles, so maybe thats the direction you would like to go. hope this helps

·
Registered
751 Posts
a guy on turbomusdtangs is selling a carb JYTT kit..you might want to check it out and ask him som e q's...im not a carb person either so hard for me to tell abou tthe fuel pump....as far as compression...it will be fine if you run like 6-8 psi and if you run more use race gas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts