Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 91 GT it had a decent oil leak so I finally got around to dropping it off to get fixed bc it is too cold to do it around here. Anyway I had the oil pan replaced as well bc it was getting rusted looking and for the hell of it I had a new oil pump pickup/screen put on. Anyway the leak was from the sending unit and its now fixed BUT......now when I start the car it takes about 10 secs. for the oil pressure to shoot up. Is this normal or am I being paranoid? Before it went in to get done the pressure was at 3/4 way up basically right after you turned the key. It stays up and doesnt drop but the delay after you start the car kinda worries me.....Im not too up on oil systems so I need any help you guys can give......Its also worse on the cold days. Is this bad or am i just being paranoid?...You can actually hear the rockers tapping for 10 secs after i start the car.......thanks guys

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think you are being paranoid, I think that there is definitely something wrong. As for what that might be, I don't really know either. But here's a nice bump and let's hope that someone else will have an idea.

If I were you, I'd take it back to that shop and make them fix it right.

Matt

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can't give you any specifics either, but that is definitely screwed up. I freak out when I change my oil and it takes about a second for the pressure to come up in the new filter. That's 10 seconds of insufficient lubrication. Not good.

Get it checked out.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Hi there,
10 seconds is alittle long but you did say in cold weather that it takes longer and it should. In the winter the oil is cold and it doesn't flow as well when its cold, so it will take a little long to pump up but 10 secs is alittle long. I would try a thinner oil weight like 5W30 before I brought it back.
See ya. Michael Plummer

BTW, does it take 10secs from 0psi to its startup maximum? Or does it take 10secs just to register something other than 0psi.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It takes 10 secs to move but once it moves the pressure goes right up. When you start it the pressure stays at 0 the after 10 secs or so it shoots right up and it stays up, but that delay scares me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Are you running the stock gauge or a real oil pressure gauge? If using the stock one try and hook up a real gauge and see what it reads. Sometimes the stock gauges will do some freaky things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts