Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realistically, is an aluminum drive shaft worth the money? Can anyone list some of the advantages they have with this driveshaft? Any input is appreciated. :D

Chicken Dreamer

·
Registered
742 Posts
It smoothed out some driveline vibrations I had. I'm sure there is a gain to be made with the reduced rotational mass lost from the stock one also. I think I've heard that it is also stronger but not sure on that one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Chick,

Most folks report significant reductions in driveline vibration with the aluminum unit. Putting a good new pair of U-joints in usually helps with this, but that's a bonus of the FRPP unit- it comes with them installed. The lighter weight seems to make a real difference.

Put it this way, this topic has been covered a million times before and I don't recall anyone ever posting that it didn't make a nice difference in the smoothness of the car. Power gains are likely not going to be huge but they're still very real.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You'll never notice a difference in timeslips but if you have higher-than-stock-ratio gears in the back it almost always helps smooth out the resulting vibes due to the fact that its material and size change the natrual frequency of the driveline. It's a good "comfort" mod if you have gears because even balancing the stock steel shaft doesn't help the natural-frequency issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had massive vibration at highway speeds after my 3.73 gear install. The aluminum driveshaft returned it to normal. The only improvement I noticed over the stock driveshaft with stock gears is that I no longer have this weird moderate vibration when decelerating from highway speeds. However, my stocker had 170k miles on it.

That reminds me, I need to see if I still get a vibration when decelerating in low gear. I can't remember if that was with the clutch in or out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I dynoed a little higher with the FRPP aluminum one, and like everyone else is saying, it totally removed an uncomfortable drivetrain vibe at 80mph. Here is a link to my results:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128810&highlight=driveshaft

I don't want you to think that there is a huge SOTP increase. The only real SOTP change was the overall drivetrain is smoother.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the need for a driveshaft loop. I need to get off my a$$ and put one on my car. From what I read and remember from material science classes in college, aluminum will just fail all of the sudden with no warning signs. I don't think this is commonplace though, but I don't want to be the one telling the story of the pole vaulting Cobra on here.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
does the aluminum drive shaft come with the U-Joints and flanges?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Yes, it's a fully assembled swap out/swap in.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine really helped vibration, and I believe I can tell a difference in throttle response under acceleration. The performance improvement is probably minimal, but the vibration improvement is BIG. Mine was just at 119K miles when I changed it.

It's hard to quantify the value of the reduced vibration, but the benefit is there every time I drive the car. To me, it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I do not notice a lot of vibration with my stock DriveShaft...but any improvement is good, I reckon..

I guess I will have to get one of these things...

·
Registered
668 Posts
My yoke was trashed......it alone would be $75 plus another $20 for joints.........why not go and spend $150 for whole thing. For Shts and giggles, it's 10lbs lighter and looks great pollished. As for stregnth....much better!

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you are interested...

I've got a brand new aluminum driveshaft never been out of the box. I swapped to a T-56 which came with it's own aluminum driveshaft before putting the other one on. Shoot me an email or PM if you are interested.

Mike

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
what is your email, good man?

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
the aluminum shaft also took care of my driveline vibration that my old shaft was causing. i put new u-joints in it and still had the problem. i did notice a difference during acceleration also. the car felt perkier and quicker.

·
Registered
287 Posts
less vibration and rotating mass for $160, i bought one.
if you plan on any internal work or a power adder you are going to need a stronger shaft anyway.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
LOL I would say anything over 300rwhp it's a worthy upgrade, otherwise forget it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts