Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I find the SIMPLE answer to this question?

I have 88 LX. I did SN95 conversion on front and rear.
I just want someone to tell me exactly what parts are needed (easy/simple) to make the ebrake work. Everyone that does this has this issue.
The conversion is covered but the ebrake issue seems to have MANY different hazy solutions.

Will ANY cables install and work with my handle? If so, which ones.
And if not, what else do I need, that is the easiest solution.

Sorry if I seem agitated, but there should be 1 preferred solution.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
You should probably actually try reading the stickies, I found this in two seconds

For the E-brake cables, the 87-92 cars will use the (2) FMS M-2809-A cables. The 93 model year cars will use the 93 Cobra cables (F3ZZ-2A635-A). You will also need an adjustable center cable; (1) FMS M-2810A
http://www.sn95brakes.com/5lug.php

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Here is another exact answer from the second sticky

'94 V6 spindles/hubs ........................................................................................ $90

'94 Cobra 13inch front rotors .............................................................................. $40

'94 GT 10inch solid rotors .................................................................................. $40

'94 Cobra calipers front (loaded) .......................................................................... $215

'99GT Calipers rear (loaded with mounting bolts included) ..................................... $60

'94 V6 axles ..................................................................................................... $80

'95 GT rear caliper mount/dust shields/anti-moan brackets .................................... $70

'95 GT/V6 booster (brand new from Autozone # 54-73150) .................................... $75

'95 GT/V6 Master Cylinder (brand new from Autozone # M2693) ........................... $35

Maximum Motorsports 3-2 conversion kit (# MMBAK-3) ......................................... $50

Ford Racing Combination Valve Plug (# FMS-M-2450-A) ...................................... $10

Wilwood adjustable knob-style proportioning valve (# WIL-260-8419) ...................... $40

'94 Cobra brake hoses and banjo bolts front ........................................................ $30

'95GT brake hoses and banjo bolts rear ............................................................... $30

'93 Cobra E-brake cables (# F3ZZ-2A635-A) ......................................................... $45

0.330" ball-joint spacer ....................................................................................... $18

'94 Cobra caliper mounting bolts front .................................................................. $20

Rear hardline to softline adapters <2> (Weatherhead 7818) .................................... $5

Passenger side hardline to softline adapter <1> (Weatherhead 7828)...................... $5

Misc nuts, bolts, gear oil, friction modifier, brake hose copper washers, etc ............. $50

'94 17inch cobra spare ....................................................................................... $100

17x8 Bullitt rims with tires 245-45-zr17 tires ......................................................... $360

Total cost with rims and tires: $1458
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com/sn95conversion.html

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i love the search feature. :)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Real easy (since i just did this last night), i'll break this down for you nice and easy.
You will need to remove your parking brake lever assembly and remove the self-adjusting feature by cutting the spring tab, then weld the paw to the handle with the second from the last tooth engaged. Now Drill out the center hole in the rear cable equalizer to 11/32 diameter. Now attach the front parking brake cable (p/n M-2810-A "ford racing part number") to the modified parking brake lever and then install the drilled out equalizer to the thread end of the cable and install 2 12mm nuts. Bolt the intire assembley back into the car and now move onto the rear parking brake cables. You will need 2 rear cables both the same for the left or right side. 1987-1992 vehicles use p/n M-2809-A "ford racing part number" and 1993 vehicles use p/n F3zz-2a635-a " factory ford dealer p/n". Install them into the caliper and you will need to get 2 retaining clips also one for each side for where the cable goes thru the caliper ( i know this because i have to get them for my car still, and i dont have a part number but will tommorow) then route the cable just like your factory drum parking brakes went. One other bracket which you should get is the one that attaches the rear parking brake cables to the rear lower control arms so the cable dosn't rub the rear tires ( i dont have a part number but iam getting these tommorow also, should be the same ones for a 1995 mustang iam guessing).
Well if this was to much for you go onto the Ford motorsports website and download there M-2300-K installation instructions.
Erik

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks guys. I read all that and saw the part numbers but I was unsure where to pick them up. Most of my stuff comes from ebay and 50resto.
Went to their website and got really mixed up. Anyway...

I am confused because I bought some cables on ebay and they look exactly like the ones in the kit. I was told they were what i needed but they look like they will not route around those football shaped things that the stock cable routes through. And the ends that attach to the adjusting cable look like they should push through something.

Are those M-2809-A just SN95 length cables or are they special for the fox?
I think the ones I have are from a 95 maybe, not sure.

I will get the center cable and modify handle but I'd like to figure out if these used cables will work....

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
OK, thanks guys. I read all that and saw the part numbers but I was unsure where to pick them up.
IMHO, forget about working on your car. Gee, now WHERE IN THE WORLD could you get FORD parts when you have the FORD PART NUMBERS? Gee, someone would need at least a triple digit IQ to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My point was... I was unsure if the numbers crossed to other numbers and years to get the stuff used...I just haven't bought anything from ford racing yet, got it all elswhere and 2nd hand..thanks for the sarcasm though.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I can't answer your question about the M-2809-A cables being sn95 cables, but iam sure they aren't. I got the front and rear cables from 5.0resto (they use the same part number, do a search on there website).
Erik

p.s. the way it sounds to me is that your possible tring to install the cables backwards.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Your confusing yourself trying to figure it out again.... just go buy the parts and put them on the car........

edit: And if your trying to cross reference part numbers call the dealer parts department and ask them... We have made it as simple as possible for you, do you want us to come buy the parts and install them for you also?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are harsh. Trying to make all this stuff work on this car has just pissed me off in the last week. I'm just ready to ride and frustrated with things that haven't worked. Cut me some slack.

Thank you for all the input...I will go buy the parts now and shut up.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You guys are harsh. Trying to make all this stuff work on this car has just pissed me off in the last week. I'm just ready to ride and frustrated with things that haven't worked. Cut me some slack.

Thank you for all the input...I will go buy the parts now and shut up.
Hey if you need pics to help you install the cables let me know i have pics of when i mod the parking brake lever assembly and i can go out and take pics of the cables,etc since the car is still on jack stands.
Erik

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I bought the cables listed above and I didnt have to modify my handle at all.

p.s I apologize for coming off like a jerk, I know working on our cars can be frustrating and I dont mean to add to it.

Rich

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the M-2010-A and will order the M-2809-A cables in the next day or two.

r6rider - pics would be nice of the two cables attaching to the center cable and maybe the routing around the "football" thingys.

rich - it's cool - how did you get away with not modifying the handle?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I ordered the M-2010-A and will order the M-2809-A cables in the next day or two.

r6rider - pics would be nice of the two cables attaching to the center cable and maybe the routing around the "football" thingys.

rich - it's cool - how did you get away with not modifying the handle?
I'll take pics of the cables, routing,etc tonight and post them late tonight for you.
Erik

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I allready took pics of the mod parking brake lever so here you go.
P.S. if you dont understand how to mod the parking brake lever just go to the link i posted for the ford motorsports directions and it tells you what to do step by step. It tells you to remove the spring tab so the spring no longer works well as you can see in the pics i cut and removed the intire spring so that it will not rattle once installed in the car.

Oh yeah i would just do the mod to the parking brake lever to be on the safe side. There is another post here about how some didn't do it and the parking brake is fine. Just take the 30mins and do the mod (well if you have a welder).
Erik

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your confusing yourself trying to figure it out again.... just go buy the parts and put them on the car........

edit: And if your trying to cross reference part numbers call the dealer parts department and ask them... We have made it as simple as possible for you, do you want us to come buy the parts and install them for you also?
I will take you up on your offer to go buy the stuff and install it for me. Just let me know what days you are available. You and your sarcasm are welcome.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well the coral was down late last night, but like i said here are the pics.

This is the end of the cable that will go thru the caliper bracket and into the lever. Notice there is no clip on the cable i had to order it from Ford yesterday.

Next the cable making its way to the front of the car, notice here is where the little bracket that attaches to the lower control arm/swaybar bolt will come in handey to keep the cable away from the rear tire (i had to order that bracket also from Ford).

Ok this end of the cable is where it clips into the body of the car.

Cable making its way thru the "football" brackets.

Pic of the 2 rear cables going into the mod equaliazer (notice the front cable is now threaded so you can adjust parking brake handle height).

And this is just a view fromt he front of the car looking at the frt cable/equalizer/rear cables.

Now get to work and make your parking brake work.
Erik

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
r6rider - That would have saved me time and money and a good thrashing from the other members.
These pics have to be part of a write-up.
This clears up all confusion. These used cables I have definitely do not look like they will work. I bought the right stuff today; and it's on it's way!

Thanks Erik

1 - 20 of 83 Posts