Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have put my fuel tank back in the vehicle,put some fuel in the tank,charged the battery up to full capacity.
Tried a quick go at starting,engine turns ok,the cut of fuel device is in the low position , but I am getting the message ' check engine '. Also the fuel gauge is not working,does this mean a new fuel pump assembly?.
Any thoughts on this before I touch anything?.

·
Read Only
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried a few things today to try and start the car. I looked at the valve on the fuel rail feed, and there was no fuel even when turning the engine over. I checked the fuse in the fuse box,no problems there.
So I decided to try some easy start after removing the air intake flow pipe,and success,the car ran for a few seconds.
So I now think that the fuel pump is the problem,as I am also unable to hear it purr in to action.
What do you all think?.

·
Read Only
1998 3.8Ltr Mustang
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I checked the wiring,fuses, and the fuel tank power lead. The result is that the fuel pump has packed up.
So I decide to drop the tank and replace the whole unit.
I went on line to look up a supplier,and most are based in the USA,even though there are some who advertise as UK suppliers but when looked at are based in the USA.
So I chose one well known supplier and I set up an account.
There were quite a few fuel in tank units, I checked the two flags (USA & Canadian ) this is supposed to mean that parts oredered under these flag labels will fit the respective vehicles manufactured in the USA Or Canada.
I gave my vehicle details ( 3.8 ltr 1998 Mustang coupe ) and it matched a unit.
I paid the money & delivery fees. The unit arrived in good time,but as soon as I opened the box and saw the unit I knew something was not right .
This new unit had an extension to the power lead,and the one on my tank has just the one direct lead,also the plate to connect the pump to the fuel tank looks a bit bigger.
Anyway I contacted the seller ( a well known name for parts ) and they said they could only issue a return ticket and I would have to pay the postal fees and any other fees that were attached to the return of the item
Then when I complained about the return fees they said I should have looked at the right state ( Federal or California ) to get the right item.
As stated I did check the flags on the site,and nowhere does it state anything about states.
So it would mean that I would also have to wait for the technical department to assess that the part has not been damaged or used which it has not as it is still in it's original box.
Then I would have to pay all over again for what they now say is the right part.
This seems all wrong to me,as I would have thought that they would just exchange the wrong unit for the proper unit .
I will have to have a good think on this, I don't think I can put this wrong unit in the car , I don't even know if the fuel pump itself would fit in to my old unit,and if it did it would mean that the guarantee for the part would be void.
I feel very let down,and my re-start will have to be put on the back burner now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.