Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to move my steering rack forward to install new control arms and now I cannot slide the column back into the rack. Any help? I did align it and try to slide it over but would not move.This is as far as i can go before hitting the imprint.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
it looks like you don't have it lined up, it will only go together in 1 spot. That cutout on the rack input shaft is for the bolt on the upper clamp to go through... hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it looks like you don't have it lined up, it will only go together in 1 spot. That cutout on the rack input shaft is for the bolt on the upper clamp to go through... hope this helps
you're out of phase by about 90 deg
I tried rotating the steering column to line up with that but it is impossible to slide over once it is lined up properly. I also loosened the steering rack again to make sure it wasn't due to uneven contact but still no luck

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
There's only 1 way it can go in. I've done this multiple times with 0 issues. You've done something wrong for it to be like this not able to be able to easily go back together.

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
I tried rotating the steering column to line up with that but it is impossible to slide over once it is lined up properly. I also loosened the steering rack again to make sure it wasn't due to uneven contact but still no luck

If you find it impossible, I dont know what to say.......take it to a shop?

Are you trying to install it with the pinch bolt ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's only 1 way it can go in. I've done this multiple times with 0 issues. You've done something wrong for it to be like this not able to be able to easily go back together.
If you find it impossible, I dont know what to say.......take it to a shop?

Are you trying to install it with the pinch bolt ??

This is what ive been doing for the past times. The indent is for the bolt?

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
spread the pinch with a screwdriver a little

then use some STRENGTH and PUSH the DAMN thing on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spread the pinch with a screwdriver a little

then use some STRENGTH and PUSH the DAMN thing on!
I didnt know I had to pry it apart so much, I had a fear I would break it but it worked. I had the right idea I was just dumb lol. Thanks! Been stuck on this for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts