Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting some white smoke and water out of the tail-pipes, so I naturally suspected a head gasket. Funny part is, the exhaust didn't smell sweet, there was no water in the oil, and no oil or bubbles in the coolant. I decided to tear the motor down to check things out, and this is what I've noticed so far: Lot's of gas in the intake. When I removed the upper, there was a very strong gas smell, as well as raw gas on part of the gasket and on my spacer. Removed lower, and also noticed a strong gas smell, as well as some black sludge on the #12 bolt (Middle on driver's side) which smelled like oil and gas. Can anyone help?

Just prior to the smoking, I installed new plug wires and distributor, as well as removed CAI and placed the K&N in the open engine bay. My damper may be off (it's a little wobbly) so I'm not sure if the timing is right. Is the gas smell in the intake normal? I don't remember it smelling this strong when I installed my heads last year. Can anyone help? Is this a head gasket or something else?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Is there any reason why your motor might have been running rich? If you had an exhaust leak before the o2 sensors, the computer would have fattened up your mix. Did you have an exhaust leak? Just a thought.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
89WhiteGTRagtop said:
Is there any reason why your motor might have been running rich? If you had an exhaust leak before the o2 sensors, the computer would have fattened up your mix. Did you have an exhaust leak? Just a thought.
I hadn't even thought of that, but yeah, the headers have been leaking. I have a new gasket set and a set of the stage 8 locking bolts that I was going to install, along with some other goodies. Then the smoke started and I changed my focus.

I did notice a drop in mpg the last few tanks. Would running WAY rich cause the white smoke and water? Haven't pulled the heads or rockers yet, so I'd like to avoid it if its not the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts