Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a irregular(not exhaust) rattling noise like somethings loose under the hood. I looked underneath the car and under the hood but can't figure it out (i'm NOT a mechanic) could it be the struts? 46k on the car. What part could be broken on them to cause this and still have normal steering? And how could it be both at once, or does it just feel like it's both when it's only one thats messed up. Any help is appreciated as usual.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If it just sounds like a piece of metal banging around under your car you should check the dust shields behind the rotors. Man, I can't get mine to stop making that dang noise. I forgot to take them off when I put my new struts on. Maybe next time I change springs I'll remember.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought but no. It's definately something heavier than that. It sounds like the strut brace is banging around but it's tight. I don't want a garage to find something simple and then tell me I need new struts. If they tell me it's something simple that would be great but that doesn't happen around here too much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
have the brakes been worked on recently??

when a shop replaced my pads they did not put the anti rattle clips back in the calipers. it made a loud clack clack sound over every bump

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had my Cobra brakes from my old car put on this car...I'm going to find out. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey wildyellow,

do you get a click or pop when turning the wheel at slow speeds or when the car is stopped?

well here is my suspension stories.

got the car with 80,000 miles on it and at about 90,000 i started to here a click or pop when turning at slow speeds. i could not feel any ill effects from this. it became worse/more frequent so i took it to a shop. (i knew nothing about cars at this time). he listened and said it was a bad strut. so he replaced the struts and the brake pads without asking me:mad:. the turning pop click was gone replaced with a bad clatter when going over bumps. the dumb sob did not put the anti rattle clips back in the calipers. after they were put in all clicks, rattles, and pops were fixed.

at 120,000 miles i had a real bad pop when turning that i could feel under my left foot near the dead pedal. this became worse and worse and would shudder the car when turning. took it to my buddies shop and he got under the car and felt the tie rod while i turned the wheel. this was the problem and i replaced the one tie rod. good as new!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Mine made a loud CA CHUNK sound at low speed when I had the wheel turned. Fixed the tie rods and it doesn't make the sound any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts