Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a really mint set of seats at the junkyard for my 85 for a few bucks--they're the stock seats (how I like them), but they're in perfect shape in terms of the cloth. The one thing I'd really like to fix on this set of seats is the ratchet mechanism that allows the seat to bend forward to allow passengers in the back. The seat leans forward by itself if pushed. Is there a fix for this? These seats are just too nice to leave this unfixed.

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey notch! whats up? the alternator you sold me works great. are you talking about the one on the seat back or the recliner?the one for the recliner can still be got but i dont know about the other. let me know. later dude:joy:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would also like to know. Both seats in my 89 are like that. The seats are nice and everything else works, but I dont like the idea of the seat going forward when its not supposed to.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread on here about this subject and someone said it was fixable (is that even a word?)

It was about 4-5 months ago though and I dont remember what the fix was, but I dont think its anything expensive.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm referring to the ones on the seatback, not for the recliner, but to give passengers access to the rear seat, not that people ever sit back there, but just cause I want to fix this problem.

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you meen that you don't have to pull up the release to tilt the seat forword, there is no fix, thats the way those seats work. I've had my 85 since new, just picked up an 86. I never could figure out why the release lever was even on the seat, it don't do nothin.

:p

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It's been discussed many times. Most do not latch. I bought my 89 new, they never latched. I've been through another set of fox seats that did not latch either. It's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As mentioned above...........

I bought my '89LX brand new, and those never latched.

Now, on my current '92GT, they DO latch. Go figure...:idunno:

Wade

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I could easily be wrong, but I thought they were inertia latches. They only engage if you decellerate quickly.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
4play said:
I could easily be wrong, but I thought they were inertia latches. They only engage if you decellerate quickly.
On the older ones, yes, I believe you're right (I remember hearing that somewhere, now that you mention it).

Wade

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'm talking about the release lever to tilt the seat forward. And yes, I know it can be fixed. They are simple mechanisms, I'm going to go the junkyard and i'm gonna tear a seat to sh*t to find out what's inside if I have to. I'll pull a functioning mechanism out of a 91-92 LSC, that should work. Some help you guys were! LOL j/k, you guys are the best.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts