Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What I know about the car. Well by color alone 1 of 67 it is the rarest 1989 notchback that came from the factory. Which is paint code 66 for tropical yellow. It is a 5 speed manual. With the rare tan or (Sand Beige) interior. When u break it down by options it could be the rarest. Car is mostly original. Being a fox body collector and restorer iam always on the hunt for rare foxbodys. I ran across this and saved it from being thrashed by a 16 year old who inherited for his dead father. The car was originally sent to DSO 71 which is Los Angelis. The kids father live in Arizona which it seem to have spent most of its life. He was shot and killed in a shooting in 2004. The car was driven by his fathers best friend for a while. Then given to his aunts who save it for him till he was 16. So by the time he got the car it was hit in the rear end and his aunts kid played on it while it as it sat for years. He got it running he said but needs new computer. Other than that he said it drives. It does need to be restored to factory new. It could be a big money car one day. It needs a total resto and I just don't have the time for it now. And would like to see it go to a good home. Odometer says 29000 some odd miles. The kid believes it is original and seems to be from what I can tell. I did find the all important build sheet in the car to verify the car 100% the way it came from factory. The car is now in Michigan. Make reasonable offer. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the obviously what some is willing to pay. But in these times it depends. First of all if its is done with all NOS and or OEM parts and it is done correctly. I think a fair price would be $20000 finished. But if history has taught me anything about the collector car market. History repeats itself. We are on the LOW end for these cars right now. The last Fox was made 20 years ago. I think in 10 years these cars are going to be red hot. Mark my words Fox body Saleens will be the next Shelby. Sorry I was not born till 1976 so I remember the 80's and 90's and the 1993 Cobra was my Dream car. Saleens seemed so far out of my reach. Have you heard this story before???? Before...well the cheapest you can get it for I guess. $2000 Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've got an original 65,000 Tropical Yellow 5 speed coupe in my shop, absolutely beautiful factory paint, two tone sand beige and black interior, pw pdl pm ptr pfd map pocket delete car. The car as of now has a Pete Harrell built 363 in it. The car will likely never leave my possession. There is an all original Tropical Yellow convertable 5speed car running around Hickory, now that's a rare car!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Question for the restorers out there. What's something like this worth before and after it's restored?
Right now it might be worth $1500-$2000 to the right person. Restored maybe $14k...but that would be a top notch resto with OEM parts. I know the OP said $20k, but since all original low mileage cars...even the rare ones...are barely bringing that I would say $14k might be more realistic. Would be a fun one to have though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GLWS....I have the twin to this car but in almost mint condition. If that is an original 5 speed car it is the only other tropical/mimosa yellow other than mine I have seen that is a stick.
I bought one ! Brand new 89 at a Ford dealership, it was Tropical Yellow with the tan cloth interior black dash etc..and, it was a stick. My favorite car, ever. Wish i still had it. I have dreams that i still have it in my back yard ! I sold it back to the dealer a year after buying it. Im hoping to see the same one roll in at a Mecum auction some time. I had never seen another one like it. Id like to know how many like mine were produced?

·
Registered
246 Posts
It would take a minimum ~$20 k to restore that car and thats if you do all the work yourself. After restoration, you would be very lucky to sell that car and get back 75% of your investment. The guys with deep pockets who buy for investment are looking at low mile pristine survivors or cars that have really never been driven and still have factory shipping plastic covers etc. Guys are buying really good resto mod cars aka coyote swaps etc and original cobras, but that’s about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.