Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the car seems to get a little faster every time I go to the track. I ran a best of 14.44 @ 95.85 w/ 2.10 60' on street tires, and 14.07 @ 96.14 w/ 1.92 60' on BenW's slicks (thanks Ben!).

The car seems to run decent ETs but is still a little low in the MPH department.

For the record, I smoked my friend John in his 96 Z28

·
Registered
154 Posts
I see that you are running about 6 tenths faster than my GT did stock, so once you get some boltons, you should see mid 13's easily.

·
Registered
149 Posts
what elevation is the track at?? what was the weather like?

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Brian, are you keeping a Racer's Notebook or journal, and recording as much data as possible? Things like weather conditions (air temp, barometer, dew point, humidity etc) launch RPM, shift points, tire pressure, etc etc? These things can really help you get in tune to your car and how to get the most out the combo.

It's always a good when when you improve each time out. I always say, don't change your combo untill you hit that "wall" where after several times out and lots of practice, you have maxed out ET and MPH. When you are sure you can't get any quicker because your driving skill has reached a level where you are getting the most from what you have, then make a new mod/change and do the same thing; keep practicing and improving to the point where you've maximized what you have. If you follow my advice, your friends will have fits wondering how you can go quicker then they do with less.. :D :D
The driver and his skills are very very important pieces of the puzzle. Anyone can add mods, but it's the skilled and savvy racer that will do the best with what he has, and do better then others who "should" be quicker/faster.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SleepinBeauty,

The track is at 1100 ft, and it was about 65 degrees and pretty dry. Just about perfect!

Greg,

I'm working on it. Right now, I'm just writing things on my time slips. Launch RPM, and shift points mostly. I'm not too concerned about my driving yet. I think the car should run another 3 to 4 MPH in stock form so I'm trying to get that sorted out first. I've already swapped out the fuel filter, pump, plugs, wires, car, rotor, and coil! Any othere ideas? I'm thinking it could be the ignition since when I start it up cold and floor it, the engine pops and bogs.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
NIce times on the Cobra.
Yea those mph seem slow. When I ran 14.5 I had a 98 mph trap speed.
ET streets will help a lot. I have a set and have used them on a 1\8 mile track and they dropped my times by .25 secs. Need to go the1\4 track and see what they will do there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
2 points for ya Brian. Last night I ran a 14.03, 1.94 60ft. @96.89--so how does that grab you! Close enough! Greg is right, with the slicks, and on that run you maxed out, I am also. I have best of a 13.99 at 98mph(my only 98) I run at 4200ft. Your 1100ft, you can drop .2 and add a mph if you were at sea level that night. You might pick up a tenth here or there depending on air quality. I am going for a dyno soon to just get numbers and I bet I am within 5hp of 250rwhp right now. Never had a dyno yet. Your trap speed is about right on for what you have believe it or not. I have been runing this year between the best of 13.99 and 14.12, total of about 25 runs! Air correction has been 6000-7200 each time. I missed a test n tune last week where my friend said it was at 5800 which was the best this year. Start checking around for correction figures and with the slicks and consistant 60fts, you will be able to predict what you will run that night within .05 or better! Heed what Greg says above. When you hit the "wall" as Greg says, you will then know if the next mod has netted anything!;) BTW, arent those sticky skins so sweet???:joy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts