1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weather was pretty damn hot.

Combo is trickflow heads, trickflow R intake w/ 1" spacer
Buddy rawls custom cam, 1-3/4" longtubes, 3" exhaust

pro-m 80mm plastic mass air, 30# injecters, stock A9L ECU, 70mm T.B., AFM power pipe

Underdrive pullies, no power steering, no smog stuff etc)

TCI Streetfighter AOD(manual etc) 3800 stall, 3.73 gears, 26" tall et drag (not spinning)

Race weight 2975 with me in the car (2780 with me out !)

60' 1.759
330 5.170
1/8 8.026 @ 85.34
1000 10.547
1/4 12.738 @ 103.21

Issues :

Had a fan belt problem, it wants to walk forward and off the pullies

Car seemes to launch pretty hard, and goes completly straight...
I was only shifting around 5800 rpm

Fuel pressure set to 32psi vacuum off as per mustangworks's fuel system analyzer

timing at 18 degrees base with a mixture of 87 and 94 gas (no detonation)

Car has some sort of fuel problem, it DUMPS fuel into the cylinders during starting, and I suspect during nomral running too. Someone said it could be air temp sensor on the lower manifold ? If it goes screwy the car will think its running at -40 degrees and dump fuel in.

Car seems to fall on its face in third gear (third is 1:1 its an AOD remember)

Can someone compare my times to other heads/cam/intake cars in 1/8th mile ? My goals are high 11's at around 114 mph

I'm only gaining 17mph in the last 1/2 of a track. 12.7 @ 103 seems to me that it's running pretty strong off the line and then dies in the last 1/2...

Car is not running out of fuel as im running an a1000 pump and a fuel cell with -8 line

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Get rid of the 87 and 94 octane mixture. Drain the tank and use it for your lawn mower. Use strictly 94 octane if you have it the next time you go to the track and see if the power up top doesn't come alive........James

p.s. Does anyone know what the minimum recommended fuel pressure should be to ensure the proper spray pattern from an injector?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking the same thing about the injectors...

I would like to run my pressure around 40 psi but the damn thing stalls out and wont idle...

it maybe going way lean up top and pig rich during idle.

Bad air temp sensor I heard can cause the ECU to think its at -40... so it wont idle good, so I set the fuel pressure low, but then during WOT, ECU is in open loop, and it goes lean... sound possible ?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was gonna say, the fp looks way low, you need smaller injectors with more pressure to get the a/f right. Also what gear are you running? It looks like time wise you are running out the back faster than you are getting out of the hole, like maybe you are running 3.55s or higher. I would say if you dont already have them you may need at least 3.73's if not lower than that. Have the heads been ported or are they box stock?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smokems said:
I was gonna say, the fp looks way low, you need smaller injectors with more pressure to get the a/f right. Also what gear are you running? It looks like time wise you are running out the back faster than you are getting out of the hole, like maybe you are running 3.55s or higher. I would say if you dont already have them you may need at least 3.73's if not lower than that. Have the heads been ported or are they box stock?
they're 3.73's with a 26" tire

The 26" was borrowed. I had 28" tall et drags for my first few runs and it was 60 footing .01 quicker which is strange !

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just subscribing.
I am in the same boat as you. Scratching my head as to why my car is slow. AODs are known to kill 4-5 mph in the 1/4 mile. This equates to about 40-50 hp loss just turning the tranny.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You definitely need some 4.10's or 4.30's with that AOD that is killing you. Your 60 ft should be alot better a solid 11.80-11.90 car should be able to pull a low 1.6 60ft it should even be in the 1.58 range. I always ran my Fuel pressure at 36#'s at idle with vacuum hooked up. (with the 30 # injectors)
my car ran 11.60's with a 5 speed N/A

Other things to think of your cam where does it make power does it pull above 6000 real good. Try shifting higher...

When lunching try this if you havent already.
instead of stalling it up as high as it will go bring the R's to just above idle 1100 or so then floor it when three comes down to "FLASH" the converter 60 ft should improve

Let us knows what happens

Greg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flashing the converter so far is the only way I have launched...

um, but straight off idle, I didnt bring the revs up at all.

I figure when I get the fuel problems worked out it will turn some better times.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Well...could be a few things..
#1-is the converter a lockup or nonlockup...nonlockup will hurt you some on the big end some times depending on your setup.

#2-i assume your motor is a 302/306?...the trickflow r intake and 1 3/4" lt are killing your tq...especially only shifting it at 5800...that intake makes power up in the rev's..i use the tfs-r on my 347 and shift it at 6500.

#3-your fuel pressure should be fine at ~32-34psi...you might want to try cleaning the wire element in your mass air meter. I had no problems running 30lb injectors on my old 302. If you think it is loading up while starting...floor it..if the computer sees the tps voltage at wot while starting it cuts out the fuel injectors.

#4...i definatly think you could gain from going to 4.10's or 4.30's. that will help you 60' better too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Which trickflow heads? Twisted wedge? Rs? ported?

Know the cam specs at all? That makes a significant difference in where your power band is.

AGree with Jeff also - that is a high revving intake - especially on a stock stroke engine. Might need to go smaller on the intake or much higher in the rpms...all that depends on teh cam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts