Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old sve has sprung a leak. Not sure I want to chance another sve or cheap china one so I'm interested in feedback from those who have had others recently. I'm looking at cold case as they seem to have good reviews in the recent threads I searched and read. I'm also interested in the 2 row large tube design vs the typical 3 row like fluidyne and sve. I've had a fluidyne in the past, without issues and would consider one again. I am open to other suggestions but ultimately I want a quality, drop in replacement (stock mounting points for the shroud, etc) that will last, can handle Florida heat and doesn't cost a million dollars. It'd be nice if it was in stock too! This will be cooling a supercharged 302 in my manual transmission 91 notch using the stock fan and shroud. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I had a sve radiator before and switched to a cold case with the 1.25in tubes.

It’s worked well. I live in Savannah and it does well with a 4in intercooler core in front of it. Car has an electric water pump and a good set of brushless fans.

Reactions: Dwain

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
im very happy with my cold case. I dont know if youve ever had one, this thing is stout. im using oem contour fans. My friend just got a Dewitts. Definitely another high quality piece and American made.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have a cold case as well. The first i had did spring a leak, i called them, provided the serial number on the top and they shipped me another. That one has been fine for 2 years now.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I'll have to say fluidyne quality isn't there no more I bought one 3 months ago and on the first test drive it started leaking from the bottom core. Also I bought it and paid the premium over sve unit thinking it was made in the USA but it's not anyone they're made in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a sve radiator before and switched to a cold case with the 1.25in tubes.

It’s worked well. I live in Savannah and it does well with a 4in intercooler core in front of it. Car has an electric water pump and a good set of brushless fans.
Was there a noticeable quality difference?

im very happy with my cold case. I dont know if youve ever had one, this thing is stout. im using oem contour fans. My friend just got a Dewitts. Definitely another high quality piece and American made.
I've never had one. Is yours the 1 inch rows or 1.25? I'll look into Dewitts as well.

Another one for Cold Case. That's what I use and it has been a quality radiator so far.
Is yours 1 inch tubes or 1.25?
I have a cold case as well. The first i had did spring a leak, i called them, provided the serial number on the top and they shipped me another. That one has been fine for 2 years now.
Looks like they stand behind the product then. Is yours 1 inch tubes or 1.25?

Well I'll have to say fluidyne quality isn't there no more I bought one 3 months ago and on the first test drive it started leaking from the bottom core. Also I bought it and paid the premium over sve unit thinking it was made in the USA but it's not anyone they're made in Mexico.
Interesting since their site still advertises made in NC. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Was there a noticeable quality difference?
I’d say so. The end tanks on the cold case definitely seemed nicer, and the welds looked good. For the price I’d say the cold case is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d say so. The end tanks on the cold case definitely seemed nicer, and the welds looked good. For the price I’d say the cold case is quite nice.
Good, that's along the lines of what I'm hoping. Any specific reason you went for the 1.25 tubes? Seems that model is significantly harder to find in stock at the moment.

its a 1". holding 700hp with contour fans and mr gasket 4365 tstat all day long.
Thanks for those details as the 1 inch seems to be significantly easier to find in stock right now.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Mine is 1 inch tubes. I don't know if coldcase offers a 1.25 tube radiators. My car makes 560 at the wheels so probably around 640 at the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Good, that's along the lines of what I'm hoping. Any specific reason you went for the 1.25 tubes? Seems that model is significantly harder to find in stock at the moment.
Npd had the 1.25 in tube version so I went with that. I’m sure the 1in tube would be more than adequate too.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

Thanks for those details as the 1 inch seems to be significantly easier to find in stock right now.

There’s a link for a 1.25in tube fox body one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a Champion 3-core and I'm happy with it so far. I'm pretty sure tubes are .75 but its been cooling my turbo 302 just fine, even with an undersized 16in electric fan.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I have a Champion 3-core and I'm happy with it so far. I'm pretty sure tubes are .75 but its been cooling my turbo 302 just fine, even with an undersized 16in electric fan.
What part of the country do you live in and do you run AC?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What part of the country do you live in and do you run AC?
I live in California and no I don't run A/C. I'll admit, I live relatively close to the ocean and temperatures around here hardly get over 85*, even in the summer. I think if I wanted to drive this thing to the track and sit in traffic for prolonged periods of time, or drive North to Bakersfield where its like 100+, I'd need to get a better fan setup.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I live in California and no I don't run A/C. I'll admit, I live relatively close to the ocean and temperatures around here hardly get over 85*, even in the summer. I think if I wanted to drive this thing to the track and sit in traffic for prolonged periods of time, or drive North to Bakersfield where its like 100+, I'd need to get a better fan setup.
Nice weather! I live next door in hell.
This is the thing; it's hard to compare cooling systems without knowing where the poster lives and the ambient temps. You know?

Reactions: stangjumper
1 - 20 of 67 Posts