Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a radiator meant for an automatic transmission on a manual tranny and use the additional cooling capacity for the auto trans to cool the engine oil instead? Dont laugh...Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Fluidyne radiator for an automatic in my 5-speed Mustang. Don't know about cooling the engine oil but I ran my power steering thru the trans cooler.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Be careful with this!!! The oil pressure can be a whole lot higher than the transmission cooling line pressure.

Transmission cooling lines are normally well below 50 psi. I think stock transmissions are around 25-35 psi.

Oil systems can be 60-80 psi or more, oil has higher viscosity, and the flow rate is higher.

If you bust a cooling tube and dump the oil into the radiator the engine will be screwed.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
The issue I see is the cooler high enough flow.

Norm see a -6 line on the trans and oil lines are -10 or -12.

Pressure should not be a issue.

Tim

·
Registered
863 Posts
I use a manual radiator for C4

·
Registered
135 Posts
The issue I see is the cooler high enough flow.

Norm see a -6 line on the trans and oil lines are -10 or -12.

Pressure should not be a issue.

Tim
I think I have a -6 or -8 line running oil through the transmission cooler. Temps are very stable, oil temp never got really high before this. I did this just to stabilize the oil temp in case of the occasional spike in temp.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Temps are very stable, oil temp never got really high before this. I did this just to stabilize the oil temp in case of the occasional spike in temp.
It's pretty unusual for oil temps to occasionally spike if it's a NA engine. For the most part, oil temps will be similar to coolant temps when warmed up and be constant w/o an oil cooler in a NA car.
I wouldn't want to run smaller than normal cooler lines that might restrict flow to vital parts.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I would rather have a separate cooler that won't puke coolant into the oil system if it fails. It's bad enough when that happens with an automatic transmission.

i have been doing that since 1996
Six years longer than this thread has been dead.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's pretty unusual for oil temps to occasionally spike if it's a NA engine. For the most part, oil temps will be similar to coolant temps when warmed up and be constant w/o an oil cooler in a NA car.
I wouldn't want to run smaller than normal cooler lines that might restrict flow to vital parts.
I will have to check the size line I am using again. I don't recall any sort of restriction in the size of the lines

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
In addition to the pressure check -- be sure you have enough additional capacity in the radiator to reject heat from the oil as well. It's easy to lose site of the fact that you're simply transferring the heat from the oil into the engine's coolant -- and then expecting the radiator to reject it.

I prefer a separate oil cooler that is placed so that the air coming off the cooler doesn't pass back through the radiator. This makes the oil cooler truly an incremental way of rejecting heat from the engine. Additionally - for much smaller surface area you can take more heat out of the oil with air that's at a much lower temperature than the coolant. Said another way - you can take oil at 250F and reduce the temperature more effectively with air at 90F (or 6F here this morning!) than with coolant at 195F.

A tranny-style cooler in the radiator side tank (or the Explorer type built into the oil filter mount) does work pretty well to more quickly HEAT the oil during cold starts which helps tremendously with cold start emissions....perhaps the primary reason for 'oil coolers' on some vehicles.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
My son's Cadillac CTS just developed a pin hole leak in the transmission cooler and it completely ruined the transmission with no warning at all.

I'm not sure running high pressure engine oil through a radiator transmission cooler that is designed around the lube pressure and flow of an automatic transmission is the best idea in the world, even if someone is successful with it. I sure would not do it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pressure is not a problem. I run a pressure gage on my transmission cooler lines, the pressure goes as high as 80-90psig when the tranny fluid is cold, 60psig when hot.

However, as pointed out already, the flow capacity would be too restrictive.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My son's Cadillac CTS just developed a pin hole leak in the transmission cooler and it completely ruined the transmission with no warning at all.
That's exactly what would happen to my truck if the cooler failed. I want to get an external one before that happens.

At the very least I think there is some good reason why Ford designed a separate water-cooled heat exchanger for the engine oil in manual 2.3T cars and manual Special Service Mustangs instead of using the radiator's internal cooler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts