Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket radiator fan that is wired up completely separate from anything in the car. The power runs directly from the main feed on the fuse box (where the battery wire connects to it) to the relays that came with the switch kit of the fan, It has a manual switch to turn it on and off so there is no splicing or using of any existing power wires on the car to control it.

My normal idle is 1100 rpm and Up until recently I have had no problems but now when I switch the fan on the car starts to idle really rough. When the fan is off the car idles perfect for me, I can even tun on all the accessories at once and have no problem but as soon as I flip the switch for the fan the idle becomes rough and jumps between 1100 down to 500 almost to the point of stalling.

I checked the battery voltage and it is the same weather the fan is on or off at 13.7V

What could the problem be?

·
Corral Charter Member
11,444 Posts
Do you know the specs of the fan and the aftermarket fan controller you are using?

You need to know the draw of each and their limitations. It's quite possible the fan or controller is drawing a lot of amps, causing a major draw on the electrical system. Also, since you did not give a lot of info on either part, if the wiring harness being used for the controller has wiring that is not able to handle the draw, it could result in the exterior casing of the wiring to melt and/or cause a fire.

When your fan is on, have you touched or felt the wiring you are using and if so, are the wires getting hot?

·
Super Moderator
27,662 Posts
Do you have an open-element air filter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.