Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the 89 mustang have ford or trw type rack and pinons. I need to replace mine, but I dont want to take it off until I have the new one to put right back on.
Also, I think the rack is bad because my car darts where ever it wants to on uneven road.
While in a long curve, I can feel the steering go back and forth, is it the rack?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The rack may not necessarily be your problem. Before you replace good parts, make sure thats the problem. It maybe as simple as unequal tire pressures.

Bill

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
psychoII said:

While in a long curve, I can feel the steering go back and forth, is it the rack?
No, it is not the rack. See post right above mine.

The TRW came in the SVO. Even then, it does not matter which you replace with.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Tie Rod(s)...

My "road wandering" was due to my inner tie rod (on the rack side) being shot. Instead of replacing the tie-rod, I opted for replacing the entire rack (since it was leaking) and it was less than $100 from Pep-Boys.

Also, a control arm ball-joint can cause the same wandering steering instability.

I suggest lifting the front-end and pushing/pulling on the tire/wheel to check for "play"...

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Worn out bushings... that was my problem... drove me crazy. I replaced mine with poly... I re-did my whole suspension too. It could also be the rear businghs, not necessarily the front. The rubber gets soft, and the axle in the rear can actually shift side to side slightly, then you have to fight it by correcting with the front... best thing to do... replaced them all... I also found a broken spring when i did mine..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts