Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the thread. The tranny went out in a 96 Cobra I have and the tranny I bought is from a 96 GT. Are they the same? The Cobra one is straight.. Isnt the GT one a little curved? Thanks in advance.

Nathan

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a guy putting it in since I didnt have time and he is saying I need a different one. So what need to be done to make it work? Does the crossmember just need to be moved back? Let me know.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That is incorrect. The GT tranny will have to have some modification to fit. You can either put the rear housing from your Cobra T45 on the GT T45 or you can modify the crossmember to line up with the tranny crossmember bolts. I know because I just returned a GT tranny to someone this Sunday. My Cobra has been trannyless for the past week. Im just getting the Cobra tranny rebuilt for now. When I get the funds I will purchase the GT tranny again. Then if the Cobra tranny breaks I will just swap rear housings out instead of modifying the crossmember.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The transmission's are different. The cobra mount is to the rear of housing and the Gt is at the front. I posted a picture of what I had to do to my 2000 gt to make the cobra trans work, can't remember the thread but someone asked the same question.

Jason.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
ok sorry for the bad info (slaps self in the head). Well if the cobra nd GT dont line up right since he has a cobra he can just unbolt the crossmember and move and redrill the holes and mount it to where he wants. Right?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The actual shape of the crossmember for the GT and Cobra are the same, and im positive about that because i had to buy the cobra crossmember for my car when i got the T-56 and they are identical, just mount up different. In your case you can unbolt the crossmember and drill holes where you want it to mount, if you get under the car you will understand what im talking about.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The mount that bolts to trans is the same on a gt and cobra, the problem is where the mounts come off of the body, they are in a different location. On a 99 and up it is spot welded from the factory and not easy to change, it may be different on the older cars. Here is a picture of what I had to do.
Jason.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That is WAYYYY different than the 96-98 crossmember. Here is an article, look threw the pics and you can see that you can just unbolt the crossmember on your car and move it "if" you have to, but i am 95% sure on a 96-98 car the cobra and GT mount are in the same spot. http://www.mustangweekly.com/2000/december/gear/gearpg1.asp

·
Registered
495 Posts
I realize that they have a different mount ( like the fox body, they have two long bolts that slide in) but the transmissons are the same.

If you look at my picture, the mount is at the very rear of trans, on a gt trans it is at the front. ( where you see the flat spot in front of the mount on this cobra trans ) It is three or four inches different. You will have to move the mount on car body or something because it will not just bolt up.

Jason.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Juiced46 said:
ok sorry for the bad info (slaps self in the head). Well if the cobra nd GT dont line up right since he has a cobra he can just unbolt the crossmember and move and redrill the holes and mount it to where he wants. Right?
You can do that, BUT your 02 sensors will hit the crossmember and not bolt up correctly and hang like 3 inches off the ground. I broke both my rear 02s doing that. So I had to swap my 96 tranny rear housing on to the 99 Tremec tranny I had. Just swap the housings. I will make install a lot easier.

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.