Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering, instead of running a line with inline filter from the oil filler neck to the Vortech airbox, could I just put a breather on my valve cover since I wont be running the airbox?

Also if I cant use breathers should I just use a line w/ filter from the oil fill neck and vent it to the atmosphere?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't use the line from the filler to the box, cap those with vacuum caps. And yes use breathers, you'll want to vent as much crankcase pressure as possible. Might get a one way check valve to put inline with the pcv too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone else told me breathers are a bad idea but I cant see a reason why they would be? Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
if you dont put a valve in the PCV so it doesnt just suck in a lot of air then yes. breathers can be bad. but ive been running a breather on my valve cover and a valve inline with the PCV and it runs perfect.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could someone explain to me why an inline valve is needed when running a breather?

I am under the impression you dont even need the line from the filler neck to the TB/Airbox, it is just there to get rid of vapors for emissions reasons? So I could just put a breather in to get rid of crankcase pressure, but I am not sure why it affects the regular PCV valve?

Also under boost conditions the stock PCV valve would not work so what gets rid of crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
because you are bypassing the line that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body (which is part of the PCV system). if you eliminate that line and place a breather on the valve cover the pcv sucks in air from that breather (which is unmetered (doesnt go through the MAF)) and puts it into the intake. if the pcv is left the way it is now and you put the breatehr on you are going to be sucking in too much unmetered air thus creating a vaccum leak. so the valve will allow you to close the PCV just enough so that at idle the pcv only sucks in enough air to evacuate the blow by and NOTHING else. you can test this by adjusting the valve (with your right hand) while your palm (of your left hand) os over the valve cover port (where the breather goes). you should adjust the valve so that there is just a very slight vacuum signal on your palm. you dont want air to blow your hand off (not enough vacuum from PCV, open valve) and you dont want it sucking like crazy (too much vacuum from PCV, shut valve)

some people dispute the "unmetered air" thing but i only go on my own (and friends) experiences

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm you wouldnt think it would be unmetered but who knows i guess.

Well what about this? Could I just run the line with filter from the filler neck to the atmosphere and forget the breather idea? Cause with the powerpipe I have nowhere to run it that will be a sealed intake tract.

Also why would I need a check valve for the PCV line if I dont have a breather? I have read other peope do this?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
the filter and line is the same exact thing as the breather. they do the same exact thing. it still pulls unmetered air. and yes its unmetered because the air the PCV is sucking does not pass through the MAF sensor, it just come from the atmosphere. i just dont like the line and fliter setup because the filter gets clogged and then it eventually starts spewing oil... but at least you can keep an eye on the breather because its right there in your face.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
342 Posts
Red5.0, go to vortechpower.com, do a search for "one way check valve", thats the one I have and many others use. It basically keeps the blower from boosting the crankcase through the PCV, goes inline with it, (if you try you can blow right through the PCV closed). USE BREATHERS, and block off the vapor evap line from the fill neck to the intake tract. Thats my setup, and it works great, and I only use one breather, which explains why my dipstick gets pushed out after every run. Hope this helps, if not keep asking, we'll get it figured out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd only pay via a money order.

They charged my credit card $798 dollars about 7 months after I bought my check valves. After several calls and a month of them saying they would take care of it, I had to finally call my credit card company.

Yesterday I ran into someone else on a message board that had the same thing happen to them. BGC charged them $625 dollars. They gave us both the same reason / excuse for how it happened. It took him over a month and repeated calls to finally get them to credit his account.

Just an FYI, proceed with caution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts