Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a car to replace the car in my sig as a daily driver and I was thinking about a v6 convertible. I placed a thread in the lounge but was hoping the v6 forum could help me out a little more.

I was wondering what kind of gas mileage you guys typically see and what insurance is like. Is there anything I need to look for when buying? I want a 99-00 but will settle for a 96-98 if prices dont drop but Im not going to be buying anything this weekend or anytime very soon.

Any kind of info you guys can give me on these cars would be appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
99+ V6

5-spd: 20/26
Auto: 19/25

I think those are right...

Stangs now have a nice 3000 or 6000 rebate I forget which, a new 2003 v6 coupe can be had for 15000, always add 3000 for a convertible top. So a used car will be any range under 15000 or so, down to as low as 5000 as I have seen around ebay and such.

Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the 99 - 00 have oil issues they get to much oil in the upper via the pcv system teh 01 has a new valve cover thing that helps it out. other than that there is no huge issues, some have clutch isseus and of course the auto tranny suck as they do in the gts so you already know all this.

the gas milage for a manual with stock everythign well kept will be 25mpg~ 21 at least and auto abotu 2 lower.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could you elaborate on the oil problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive got a 2001 V6 auto vert. Only problem encountered was a broken gas cap. Fuel averages 27/hwy, 24/city. If you're concerned over fuel prices & mileage, swap out the rear end. That's gonna be first on my list after K&N intake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually newer v6s are 20/29 last i checked for manuals. I get 19-21 in town but I can't use my 5th gear at all and I live at 5280 ft.
Mad bogging ensues if I am going less than 55-60.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 38k on my 99 and am getting 24mpg in the city. as for the PCV problem its not really a problem unless your really particulat like me. But the solution is to simple remove the system and replace with filter, cost $20-30.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IDontKnow said:
Could you elaborate on the oil problem?
It's not even really a problem. It's just an issue on 99's and some 00's. Under heavy acceleration oil can go through the baffle in the driver's side valve cover, through the PCV valve, and ultimately ends up in the upper intake. This will cause some pinging.

IF it is a problem, you can swap out a new valve cover or you can put a small filter in-line with the PCV valve. HERE is a good how-to on the filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 1995 v6 coupe has 156,000 miles on it, and gets 320 miles per tank.

It was getting 380 miles per tank when new with 2.73's and dropped immediately to 320 with the 3.45's.

Insurance treats it as a sports car. so you have to call around.
Amica is good, and you get a refund end of year if they did X business.

based upon your age, your going to pay a higher amount, but not as much as a GT etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the pcv system on 99-00 had issues with to much oil getting into the upper intake via the driver side (where the pvc is located) tube allowing to much oil back in the upper, in 01 they got a new valve cover setup that helpe the problem, basically buy a breather filter and stick on each side and you should be fine, if not buy a 01 valve cover for the driver side and slap on a breather your good, the only bad side of a breather is that you will smell the oil when the ac is on now and then at a stop.... i konw it sucks so you could simply guy soem flexable tubign run it over to the side to a little catch cup then up out of the cup to the upper intake, this will let the oil fall out of the air and land in the bottom totaly keeping it out of the upper, other than this and soem gear whine issues from teh 99-01 i have heard of no major/expensive issues with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts