Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How many coils need to be cut out of the front and rear springs to lower about 1-1.5"?
2. Did this hurt ride quality very much?
3. Did you lower the front and back the same amount?
4. got pics? :)

Some people are telling me to heat the stock springs, but I don't know about that. I've got some stock front springs laying around that I can cut and put on the car, also got some Fox body 4 cyl springs (but I think they'll have a problem with bottoming out on big bumps).
I'm gonna try this free stuff before I spend any money on springs. :)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I havn't cut them on my Cobra, but have done it before on other cars. DO NOT heat them or use a torch to cut them. If you do, use a cut off wheel and go slow. Maybe somebody else can tell you how many coils to cut, I have heard that 1 coil is a little over 1", again not sure just what I have heard. The best be would be to cut some and see how low it goes. Creap up on the desired ride height. You can always cut more, but you cannot add back after you have cut them. More work, I know.
This will affect the ride quality, how much will depend on spring rate and how much is cut off. Let me explain why it affects ride quality. An example, it takes 500 pounds to compress a spring 1", now cut 1 coil off and it will take more than 500 pounds to compress that spring 1", less coils to compress. If that spring has 6 coils and you cut off 1 then you have 5 which would make the spring rate go up by app 30%. The more coils you cut off, the stiffer the spring will be.
Sorry for the length and hope it helps.

·
Registered
713 Posts
:mad: ohok.. just checking this post to make sure none of the corral guys I know came in here and said "yes".

Don't cut your springs.. plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been in friends cars with $200 springs, and they all rode ruffer than mine. The way I figure it, I can save $200 and get as low as I want and prolly not ride as ruff if even as ruff as those cars. Like I said before, this is free, I'll take free any day of the week. If I don't like it, then I'll spend some money on springs....and try to figure out which one of the hundred different springs out there will be what I want :rolleyes:

·
Registered
713 Posts
There are two different reason one would want lower springs on their car. (A) to just make the car look lower, and (B) to improve the cars handling performance.

With an aftermarket spring, you will get both (A) and (B).

Cutting the spring, you will only get (A)

Riding "rougher" isn't really what you think. If you go with a performance spring, the spring will bring the car lower to the ground, it will be shorter, and will have a higher spring rate. This will no doubtedly, make the ride "Stiffer". Now, if you add spring rate, you HAVE to increase your dampning, other wise you get a bouncy car.

Picture yourself holding the spring in your hand. If you throw the spring at the ground, its going to bouce up in the air and kick your a$$. but... if that spring were only allowed to compress/decompress so far so fast, it wouldn't do that.. no bounce. This is what the shock/strut does, keeps the spring from moving. It absorbs energy.

If you put a performance spring on a car and dont add dampning (better shock) you are doing about as much for the performace as cutting the spring. All you get is a bouncier / lower ride.

My recommendation, is to lower the car for the "application" rather then the "look", however the look will always come with the application, if you know what I mean.

My car rides rough, but smooth at the same time. you just have to do it right

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I say go for it. Can't hurt anything (real bad).

You are aware I'm sure that lowering you car will screw up the suspension geometry. To (more) correctly do it you'll need caster/camber plates, offset rack bushings, and some other stuff. If you don't you might have a slight problem with your tires not contacting the road perfectly (more wear on one side than the other).

Lots of people do it tho. I'm about to.

Speaking of which, I know my Cobra has softer springs than a GT, so I should be able to snip them a bit and still have ride quality equaling that of a GT.

My spring rates: Front = 400lbs/in. Rear = 160lbs/in.

Anyone know what they are for the GT? Any recommendations how much I should cut?

IJCobra

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Since they are free, go for it. One problem is getting the stance like you want it. Might have to cut some, install, remove, cut some more & reinstall. I have ridden is some cars that have cut coils and it wasn't too bad. Just don't go too low. The Cobra springs would be a better choice or the 4 cylinder springs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just tried it, and I like it :) Cut one coil out of both the front and the back. Rides about the stock ride hidth of a Fox car now, I'm glad it didn't get slammed :) Seems to pretty much ride about the same, seems to corner fine....although cornering isn't a big concern of mine. The back may need another 1/2 coil taken out though :( But I'll have to see how it looks with my new 99 Cobra 17's w/ 245/45 Kumhos instead of these 15" Pro Stars w/ 265/50 BFG's.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hey did you cut 1/2 coil from the top and bottom of each spring, or 1 coil from the top?

what is the best way? Does it matter?

I think I'm going to do this sometime this week. Next time I get a chance to go to the Auto Hobby Shop.

I'll probably get the new Steeda Ball Joint sometime after I cut them to help fix the suspension geometry.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the back, I cut a coil out of the top because the bottom tappers down to a smaller size to ride on the lower control arm. I think it was off the bottom of the front springs. I think :confused: My memory sucks :rolleyes: Anyway, there's a rubber boot kinda deal that slides over about one full coil of the spring (I think it was on the bottom, but may be the top, you'll see which end when ya take it out). I cut a coil out of the side with the slide over boot.
FWIW, ya may wanna cut another 1/2 coil out of the back, mine is still sitting a lil high out back. I kinda thought it'd need more taken out when I saw the back spring, it sits flat at the top where I cut, unlike the way the front springs sits. It sits flat because the top coil is cut from the side to make it flat. That may not make any sense to ya lol. You'll see, it's straight forward.
May wanna check your shocks and struts while you're there. Oil was coming out of my shocks, they're busted, but I haven't replaced them yet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Update: I cut 1 1/2 coils from the front and rear to get almost a 2" drop and my car rides TERRIBLE. This has got to be the most harsh riding Mustang i've ever had. I added new Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks, since that's where most of the harshness feels like it's coming from, but it didn't seem to help any. I guess i'll have to get some real springs soon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
VIPERBLUELX said:
Update: I cut 1 1/2 coils from the front and rear to get almost a 2" drop and my car rides TERRIBLE. This has got to be the most harsh riding Mustang i've ever had. I added new Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks, since that's where most of the harshness feels like it's coming from, but it didn't seem to help any. I guess i'll have to get some real springs soon.
Monroe Sensatrac can not dampen the spring rate you have with those cut springs, Sensatracs are a stock replacement not a performance upgrade. You need something that can handle like a 600-700 lb/in rate at least, Bilstein's, Tokico Adjustables, or Koni's.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Yeah guys lets get some pics!

·
Registered
325 Posts
FYI the stock plates on our cars are adjustable, you can still use them for about 1.25 inch drop. Take a look yourself!
I have aftermarket springs on my car AND cut a HALF coil out of each. Get a lot of compliments and questions on what brand they are. Had to use MM caster/camber plates with the springs though. However, save yourself the wonder and buy some real struts and shocks like Monroes. The ride quality will be worth it over stock replacements.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I see so much bad advice in here I'm not even going to comment on it. This sounds like rice heaven.

I'm not going to make fun of you, but why not get some real springs and achieve the correct ride height and get a better handling car at the same time? It sounds like you guys are prime candidates for a C spring kit from Ford or Pro-kit from Eibach.

The H&R SS springs might work for you as well.

The stock CC plates aren't adjustable... they just allow a certain degree of adjustment to obtain a factory setting. Adjustable plates have slots on them to help you achieve further range of adjustment.

I don't understand the reasoning behind cutting springs when C springs are about 130 bucks and a decent set of dampers will cost another 300.

I've had 4 sets of springs on my car now and been through the whole gamut of ride quality. The stock ones were Cadillac quality. Then I had a set of semi-roadrace springs (forgot the brand) and the car was level and stiff. Then I got some roadrace Eibachs with KYB adjustables on there. It was so low that the wheel tops were almost hidden into the fenderwheels. Then I got a Pro-Kit set from Eibach. It rode fine but was too soft for me to autocross. Then I swapped in the rear springs from the roadrace kit and it handled fine, but still a little too soft in the front.

Now, I use H&R race springs and the ride is about 25% stiffer feeling than stock, but handles about 70% better. They drop the car about 1.5".

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
VIPERBLUELX said:
I added new Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks,
Monroe junk-a-trac shocks. Don't skimp on shocks/struts, especially with a lowered car. Nut up 300 for a set of Tokico premiums. My Tokico adjustables are set on 3 (1 soft to 5 stiff), which is the equivalent to the premiums. I can set them on 1 and the ride is fairly 'plush'.

On my C springs, I trimmed ~1 coil from the rear and 1/2 from the front to get the ride height in my sig. Pretty much perfect to me.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, talk about back from the dead.

Well I don't have pics of that car (don't have the car anymore), but the "rice" idea worked fine for me :rolleyes:

Some people have to save most of their pennies, so a free cutting that was fine for what I wanted works for me. The car handled fine (I don't autocross on city streets) and looked better. Didn't hurt a thing to try it.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
importhater said:
FYI the stock plates on our cars are adjustable, you can still use them for about 1.25 inch drop. Take a look yourself!
I have aftermarket springs on my car AND cut a HALF coil out of each. Get a lot of compliments and questions on what brand they are. Had to use MM caster/camber plates with the springs though. However, save yourself the wonder and buy some real struts and shocks like Monroes. The ride quality will be worth it over stock replacements.
This is more densely packed with bull **** than I've seen around here in a looooong time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.