Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcohol Injection Systems, LLC would like to personally address and answer any questions members may have about the use and effects of water alcohol/methanol injection.

Let us know what your questions are so we can help better inform everyone about water alcohol/methanol injection and how to tune for it properly.

Have a question and want to speak to someone directly about water alcohol/methanol injection. Give us a call directly at 1.801.447.2559.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the combo in my sig pushing 6.5lbs of boost at 5700RPM.

I recently put down 250hp/300tq running only 5lbs of boost untuned running really rich at about 10:1 the whole time.

I think maybe I am putting down maybe ~265-270/305-310 now but I have no idea.

If I were to add one of your meth injection systems into my car and had it tuned how much do you think I would gain?

And also, if I were to bump up my boost to about 12psi and ontop of that add one of your systems what do you think my overall output would be.

Some people have said the more boost you run the more you gain so I have had a hard time answering this question for myself when trying to decide if I should have my intake/heads ported to reach my HP goal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a tuning question, but first I'll give you my example. I had my air fuel at around what my target was with and without the meth, so I started adding timing in at 1* increments. I had all the way up to 12* of timing in and it never detonatated, my question is how much timing is too much? I thought once I heard slight detonation, I would back it down a degree or two and it would be fine, but I thought that 12* was a little much so I stopped. Is there an average number where meth stops making power and it won't detonate, or will it stop making power even while adding timing? I tried to explain this the best I could hope you can help.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I have a
Vorteched 306 w/10.4:1 compression and am currently running 5lbs of boost, I run 19degrees of timing at full boost..

With a meth kit could I run 10 lbs of boost with the same tune and be safe?

Rich

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the combo in my sig pushing 6.5lbs of boost at 5700RPM.

I recently put down 250hp/300tq running only 5lbs of boost untuned running really rich at about 10:1 the whole time.

I think maybe I am putting down maybe ~265-270/305-310 now but I have no idea.

If I were to add one of your meth injection systems into my car and had it tuned how much do you think I would gain?

And also, if I were to bump up my boost to about 12psi and ontop of that add one of your systems what do you think my overall output would be.

Some people have said the more boost you run the more you gain so I have had a hard time answering this question for myself when trying to decide if I should have my intake/heads ported to reach my HP goal.

Thanks!

DRock9,

Running only 6.5lbs of boost with your Vortech right now is a relatively low amount of boost to begin with. The additional horsepower comes in two forms. One is from the initial drop in air charge temps. The second is from the added timing were now able to bring back due to the substantial increase in octane added and the drop in air charge temps by the water methanol injection.

To give you an idea on how much the air charge temps can be reduced with a water alcohol injection system, lets take for an example a non-intercooled centrifugal supercharger system such as your Vortech. Running 10 psi with this supercharger, air charge temperatures will reach as high as 225-240 degrees making a 1/4 mile pass on a 80-90 degree day. With water alcohol injection, that same vehicle would not see air temperatures raise over 130 degrees at the end of a pass and could up boost to 12-14 psi and not go over 140 degree's

The best part is the car can be hot lapped and run that same number again and not get slower like strictly air-to-air or air-to-water intercooled systems do as now the intercooler is heat soaked lowering it's efficiency dramatically.

By bumping your boost to 10-12 psi and adding a water methanol injection you would be looking at a 75-100+ horsepower gain tuned properly.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thank you very much! It looks like I will get either a new upper/lower intake or port my stock one to put me up to a little over 400whp.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much! It looks like I will get either a new upper/lower intake or port my stock one to put me up to a little over 400whp.
I would just get an aftermarket intake vs porting your lower intake. Even if you port the lower intake it won't compare to a good aftermarket unit. Hit eBay and I'm sure you can find a great deal on a used intake by any of the popular manufactures. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coming out in the next week we will be offering fabricated black anodized aluminum tank brackets with all trunk mount systems.

Pictures will be posted as soon as we have them available.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a question. Im buying a KB 1.5L for my 98 cobra. Now if I spray meth on it there is no way to do it after the blower. But here is my question. Since the positive displacement blowers generate max boost alot sooner how does that work with a vacum actuated meth system. I mean wont it run out of meth alot sooner?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a question also.

I used to race racing karts that ran on methanol. After every race day, i would flush the engine with gasoline due to methanol's corrosive properties.

With that said, will the methonal corrode any components (rings, aluminum heads, etc etc.) ?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question also.

I used to race racing karts that ran on methanol. After every race day, i would flush the engine with gasoline due to methanol's corrosive properties.

With that said, will the methonal corrode any components (rings, aluminum heads, etc etc.) ?
No methanol injection will not corrode, rings, heads, pistons, etc.

You already answered your own question. Think about it. How long do you run your racing kart on gasoline? For only a few minutes right. How long is a gasoline vehicle, with methanol injection, running gasoline? Constantly. Not to mention we are only injecting methanol under heavy engines loads. It's not constantly spraying while the engine is running.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question. Im buying a KB 1.5L for my 98 cobra. Now if I spray meth on it there is no way to do it after the blower. But here is my question. Since the positive displacement blowers generate max boost alot sooner how does that work with a vacum actuated meth system. I mean wont it run out of meth alot sooner?
Sure you could spray after the compressor if you made a custom plate or installed nozzles in each intake port. This isn't necessary as there is no problem with injecting before the supercharger. For that reasone we always inject just before the throttle body.

Here's a video of a Magnacharged LS2 Engine built by Kenny Duttweiler for Jr Granatelli in which he used our Stage 2 progressive alcohol injection system on this engine. You will notice our nozzles are positioned before the throttle body connected to the blue methanol fluid line.

http://www.magnacharger.com/

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ok I was all set for getting methanol injection a few months ago. I talked to my tuner about it and he told me not to get it. He put it on his personal KB car and said he didn't see the gains that people were advertising. Does it not work as well on positive displacement cars?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I was all set for getting methanol injection a few months ago. I talked to my tuner about it and he told me not to get it. He put it on his personal KB car and said he didn't see the gains that people were advertising. Does it not work as well on positive displacement cars?
Was this an intercooled KB or non-intercooled and how much boost was he running?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Intercooled 2.2KB on an '03 Cobra boost was like 15-17psi its a 650 rwhp car
When on the dyno with these type of superchargers it's very import to put some heat in them and not make quick short dyno pulls as these type of intercoolers are very effecient in the beginning when cold. Making short quick pulls on the dyno is totally different then making a pass down the strip. You won't come close to seeing the same air temperatures unless you try to simulate a quarter mile pass on the dyno. Even then it's tough to fairly compare the two.

We have made gains between 40-50 horsepower on applications such as yours or similiar. Our best example of this is a recent engine which Kenny Duttweiler completed in which he used our rear trunk mount progressive system. You can see a video clip of this engine by clicking on the link below or going to magnachargers website directly.

They picked up an additional 50 horsepower with the addition of our alcohol injection system (using pure methanol) and made 725 horsepower on California 91 octane pump gas.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.magnacharger.com/

1 - 20 of 736 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.