Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put on my NX kit and have a few questions. I am wondering what is the best way to retard timing while on nitrous. Can I just use a Timing adjuster in conjunction with my chip? My chip has the timing advanced and I would like to be able to have a little bit of adjustability without just turning the chip off and taking the timing back to stock, unless that is what it need. I am gonna be running high octane gas on the fuel side of the NX kit, so that would help some. Any input?

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I retarded mine 2 degrees from stock using a TwEECer on a 100 shot, and I am not convinced it was needed. The 2 degree retard is where I will start with the 150 shot. You can do the same thing with the timing adjuster.

At this altitude, I could run mine 3 degrees advanced on motor. So the 2 degree retard on mine is really a total of 5 degrees less timing than on motor. That should be fine. I did this on 92 octane gas, again, that is all that is needed with stock compression at this altitude.

I have never heard any pinging or seen any evidence of detonation on any of the plugs with the 100 shot with 2 degrees retard. Start there, and then advance it no more than 1 degree at a time until you hear or detect any detonation.

Also, start with one step colder copper plugs like a NGK TR-6 or Motorcraft AWSF-22C, gapped at 0.035". Don't even think of running the nitrous system with the platinum plugs.

That said, I really don't have a lot of experience yet, like 20 runs before the tracks shut down for the winter. But they were good ones.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe.. I was hoping you would chime in. I have always heard to find where the car likes to run on motor( timing wise) and then back the timing down from there. I am not sure how much timing was added in my chip, but it really runs good there with no signs of detonation. I definately know never to run platinum with nitrous, had a bad experience with my 99GT..lol. I am just wondering if it would be bst to get a T/A or get my chip changed over to a flip chip, with the same progaram except stock timing?

Joe..What kind of ET gains and MPH gains did you see on the 100 shot? I am probably gonna be askinf for you input or advice on a few things, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've only run it up here at 3000 feet actual altitude. With a density altitude of 3930 feet I can run 12.5 on motor alone and I ran 11.6 on 100 shot, so roughly 0.9 improvement. The shocker was the difference in the 60', 1.61 on motor (in bad air) and 1.43 (best) on a 100 shot, so about 0.15 difference. I'm counting on low 11s on a 150 shot after I go to a forged bottom end and some other stuff this year.

A flip chip is easy, but a timing adjuster is pretty positive. I will probably continue to use the TwEECer but I can check the results with an Autotap and verify. Your pick. I would go with the chip if you can check it to verify the programming.

I'm still messing with the fuel system. The pressure drops pretty bad with a stock pump and stock settings in the computer when the nitrous fuel solenoid opens. Then it overshoots real bad during the shifts. The fuel pressure is all over the place and so is the air fuel ratio. I should be able to play with my eFPC some over the next few weeks to see if I can cure it. I put an '03 pump in for the 150 shot later.

Joe

Joe

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe. I am probably just gonna use a Timing Adjuster. Hopefully I wont have any of the fuel gremlins. I have changed my NX fuel jets to low pressure, and using a seperate fuel system for the Nitrous, with Regulator, Guage, Filter, etc.. We will see. If I have half the luck you have had I wll be very happy.

Nathan Green

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nathan ,

did ya"ll come to Steele this past Sunday ?

When are ya"ll coming back ?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Nathan, separate fuel system may turn out to be the way to go. Hope it works out for you. Timing adjuster is a sure deal.

Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im running the stock timing right now with only a small 75 shot. 2 degree's of timing for every 50HP should keep you really safe. It might slow yuou down though...:(

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian. We went back that Sunday. It was pretty cool. We are definately going back very soon. I will let ya know.

Joe.. I hope it works also. My cell, pump, regulator, battery relocator, and all came in today. I am gonna go with the T/A, also. I will have pics up when everything gets going.

We will see.:D

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Deff take it back 2-3 Degrees
and make sure you run 1-2 degree colder plugs

I like my flip chip, when i want to spray just open glove box and switch program, to me thats much faster than manually adjusting it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Listen to the directions that come with the N/X kit! They will say do not retard the timing ( assuming stock setting). Anything over 100 I personally would advise a 255 fuel pump. I think the 1-2 steps colder plugs is right on the money and run copper. No chip is required for a wet kit because the motor does not know you are running Nitrous.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you are going to run the 100 or lower i would keep the timing at stock. I have seen cars loose alot of power pulling timing out for 100hp and under, and they just didnt run right. With the 150 back it down like 1-2 degrees. If you are getting a chip or timing adjuster to do the timing, i would suggest to get it on the dyno to fine tune it. That would be the best way to go.

Dave

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys. I will probably leave the timing at stock on the 100 shot, especially since I will be running high octane gas on the fuel side of the NX kit. I am gonna use a T/A on the dyno to tune it.

Will I have to get a read on my computer to see how much timing is added, and then back that much out using the T/A? Will that overide the timing added through the chip? Thanks for the help> I sure hope it runs good.

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The adjustor change is addititive to anything you see from, say, an Autotap from the car's computer. If it says 24 degrees and you have the adjuster set at -2, then actual timing is 22 degrees.

I will try the stock timing with the 100 shot. I was just chicken last year. I ran it on a 75 with stock timing--no problems. Especially at this altitude.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
wow. Uh, im using a jms dry kit. For 100-120 shot im retarding the timing 5 degrees.

im also 18% richer then stock.

i got detonation at anything leaner then that.

how do u run a 150 with just colder plugs? my car would shoot a piston out the hood

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oliver--I have stock compression and thin air. Even with stock timing I will be running three degrees retarded from what I can run on motor alone.

I'm going to do a little dyno work in the next few weeks to confirm.

Joe

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Does it detonate on tip-in or as the rpm builds?

The reason I ask is that I would think -- but don't know for sure -- that the dry kit would have a slight delay in adding fuel so you might be a little lean for a 1/4 second or so, contributing to the detonation.

I've never detected or heard any detonation on mine on a 100 shot. But it is wet, and it doesn't go too lean on actuation at 4000 rpm.

Joe

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
heres the thing, i can't hear anything, but my plugs(old ones) had some silver specs. by tip in do u mean when the nitrous hits?

the car runs absolutely fine without the spray, a little lethargic on that program, but no problems.

i don't know. what would it take to convert mine to a wet kit?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts