Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
1. What do you MS guys do with your EVAP/charcoal canister system? I wouldn't mind deleting it all as I don't need any emissions crap on the car. However, I don't want my garage to smell like gas all the time so just venting it to atmosphere doesn't sound appealing.

2. I'm leaning toward Microsquirt while turboing the stock long block. I have a 255 lph fuel pump and stock injectors (34lb) off a friend's 2011 Coyote mustang that I would like to use. I am running a junkyard 70mm MAF off a 94 GT so the cost savings of going MS and not needing to buy a new blow through MAF would be nice. I also think learning to use TunerStudio looks much less confusing/intimidating than using Binary Editor with QH. I already have a WB and feel that I am patient and studious enough about learning to tune. How does this plan sound?
I'm building/built an MS3x setup for my car. Unit is complete and works on the bench, but in the process of starting to wire it into the car. Took me about 6 hours to build it fully and customize it a bit for my needs.

I went with the 3x because of the flexibility and number of i/o available. I run cats on my car mostly due to keeping the sound down, and the stench (the fumes from catless tend to bother me). Since it's only a 2-cat system, i'm eliminating the TAD and just running the TAB. On the Ms3x i have a bunch of spare outputs that can trigger a relay, so i'm simply wiring in the TAB to direct the bypass flow when my RPM or TPS sensor exceed a certain point. With the TAD removed (because no longer need to direct to the heads during warmpup) i simply pump air to the main cats and dump it at WOT. Eventually i'll wire in the charcoal canister as well. There was a good explaination on how to do it on the FB DIYAUtotune/Megasquirt forum, but i can't seem to find it at the moment.

I'm also wiring the car for MAF. I'm using one of the cheap, readily available 99-04 GT 80mm MAFS with the integrated IAT to get it off the manifold. The transfer curves are available, really the hardest part is mounting the thing in the intake tube. I'm currently running the SN95 70mm unit with A9L, and it works great, but i wanted to go a bit bigger.

Right now i'm still bench testing and learning TS. I've set mine up to do fan control, shift light, and integrating the VSS and a front ABS wheel speed sensor to give front/rear speed readings and allow me to use traction control.

I went with a DIY kit, which is a little more of a learning curve than some of the pnp, off-the-shelf versions out there.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
https://www.efisource.com/wp/shop/microsquirt-for-1986-93-ford-5-0-mustang/

That is the one I was looking at. Thought you just plug it into the factory harness, install the included MAP sensor, hook it up to your wideband, and check calibrations.
That setup is plug and play, but it's fairly no-frills. It will run a 5.0 engine fine, but won't have any of the extra features. I think there's only one spare input and it's batch fire. Not anything wrong with that, but it won't be able to run extra circuits like the emissions controls, or do things like sequential injection.

Just run a vented gas cap...if you can find one that's compatible with the fox tank

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I tested my gas cap and it intermittently was not relieving pressure so I have a new one coming. I still think I am going to try to route the vent hose from the tank to behind the gas fill compartment door and see if it smells. If not, I'll delete the whole EVAP system to gain space and to have one less thing to protect from heat if I get the turbo.
If you crouch under the car under the pass side and look near the filler neck, you can usually see the vac line coming off the evap valve and connecting to the hardline going all the way up to the front of the car.

You can simply cut the here, plug the line going to the front, and install a hose connector and install another hose and route it somewhere away from the hot exhaust and put a small filter on the end. I've seen guys drill a small hole in the gas fill neck catch basin, install a bunkhead connect and vent the line into that area. No different than if you had a vented gas cap there.

That's probably the route I will end up taking, although i do have one spare output circuit that I can try to use to program the EVAP logic...if i really wanted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.