Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
A. I am considering getting Microsquirt next year to start to learn to tune with my near stock setup. I'd want to gain a decent level of familiarity tuning with TS before either adding a turbo or a H/C/I to my car a year later.

B. I'm in research mode and have a couple of questions:

1. What do you MS guys do with your EVAP/charcoal canister system? I wouldn't mind deleting it all as I don't need any emissions crap on the car. However, I don't want my garage to smell like gas all the time so just venting it to atmosphere doesn't sound appealing.

2. I'm leaning toward Microsquirt while turboing the stock long block. I have a 255 lph fuel pump and stock injectors (34lb) off a friend's 2011 Coyote mustang that I would like to use. I am running a junkyard 70mm MAF off a 94 GT so the cost savings of going MS and not needing to buy a new blow through MAF would be nice. I also think learning to use TunerStudio looks much less confusing/intimidating than using Binary Editor with QH. I already have a WB and feel that I am patient and studious enough about learning to tune. How does this plan sound?
A. The umbrella name is Megasquirt. Microsquirt is a subset. Microsquirt has 2 types; dedicated sealed module & microsquirt module which is what's in the MSPNPG2. Both are MS2.
There is Megasquirt 2 (MS2) & Megasquirt 3 (MS3). MS2 firmware is fully developed; MS3 is more advanced & still being updated.

B. Research Mode is good. Keep it going, it will never end. After 5 years, I'm still learning new things.

1. Leave it alone, do nothing. All my emissions stuff is intact, it's no longer in control by the ECU.

2. MAF is not a requirement for Megasquirt. They are all Speed Density & come with an onboard MAP sensor. I am one of the few that use a MAF & MAP in combination but the converts are growing because it seems to work better for boosted applications. You can use any MAF in a blow-thru; the mass of the air does not change from inlet to throttle body. You will need the calibration curves for both the injectors & the MAF. You can download Tuner Studio Lite which is free, to become familiar with it. There are 2 paid versions, MS & HD. It is called the User Interface (UI). There is no comparison between it & BE/QH. The UI is what sold me on Megasquirt.

Reactions: Ryno22980

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
...My follow up question would be how are you bleeding fuel tank pressure out without the ecu telling the purge valve to open.....
I'm not & am unaware of anyone doing it. The tank is vented, if it weren't you'd never be able to fill it.
I don't know what is causing your problem.

The DIY kit is "end of life" & is no longer available.

You have to ask yourself, are you using the factory harness & factory 60-pin connector?
If so, the Microsquirt is not for you because you will have to cut off the Ford 60-pin connector or splice into the harness & let the connector hang.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.