Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the clutch and rear main on my 03 GT. I removed the old one and was installing the new one and put in a little deeper than the old one will it be ok? Also was the original one a 2 piece seal, the one I purchased from ford is a 1 piece seal is this correct or do I need to find another part?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am replacing the clutch and rear main on my 03 GT. I removed the old one and was installing the new one and put in a little deeper than the old one will it be ok? Also was the original one a 2 piece seal, the one I purchased from ford is a 1 piece seal is this correct or do I need to find another part?
I just did mine on my 2000 GT. Just got it all back together this morning. I removed the retainer and installed the seal from the back side and I also put mine in a little further than flush. I should be fine because there is a lot of area on the crankshaft for it to ride on. I also used ford factory seal and the oil slinger too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this look too deep or will it be ok? Not sure why it posted so many pics, sorry.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It does look a little deep. Did you take the retainer off and install from the inside? And make sure that crank is really clean and all of the mating surfaces too. I used a slinger on mine so it looks different.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics, I think mine is a little deeper than yours but it looks like it will be ok. I am going to put the oil slinger seal back on as well, ordered and will be picked up Saturday and ready to get everything reinstalled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts