Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the hell can this be effective? I assume that with stock seats the crotch strap has to go from the waist line all the way around the front fo the seat bottom and down to a bar on the forward two seat mount bolts. Is this the way it is done with stock seats and it NHRA legal? Anyone with advice or pictures I would appreciate it.:)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dok

I plan on making that very same part but if not I will just buy that one.

I'm still a little unclear on how an anti submarine belt can work when it has to go out in front of the stock seat. You this would mean that in a hard frontal inpact you would slide forward on the seat bottom for a while. Don't most race oriented seats have a hole in them just below the crotch area so the belt goes straight down towards that bar?

Just want to make sure it is legal to run down in front of the stock seat is all.:)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Here's where I run mine (between the thigh support and seat front) and it is legal. I attached my anchor through an existing rubber plugged hole under the seat with an eyebolt and plate that I got from Schroth with the belt.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay I get to drool all over johns car some more.

John I am using SN95 seats so it looks like it will have to go all the way around the front.:confused:

Hey John do you have any words of wisdom on my roll bar thread?:)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's also OK to go around the front of the seat. The NHRA Super Stock cars with stock seats do it that way.

I'll check out the roll bar thread.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The crotch strap is not intended to stop you, it's intended to hold the lap belt in the proper position, down low, so you don't go under it or have it come up and do internal organ damage in a wreck. Just having it there when you tighten the belts down is a BIG help IMHO, because I have run both with a sub-belt over the front of the stock seat using a homemade wolfe-type bar, and without the sub belt, and having the subbelt in place really helps hold the lap belt in position when snugging it all down.

What I do is adjust the crotch strap so it's snug with the seat one notch too far back, leave the shoulder straps loose so they don't hold the lap belt up, connect everything, crank the lap belt down as tight as I can, then move the seat up one notch. This tensions the crotch strap and the lap belt for a snug secure fit. THEN I crank the shoulder straps down.

None of this is the "approved" way, the safety foundations want you to not route the sub belt up over the front of the seat, but with the stock seat, you don't have that option. You can, however, run a 6-point which is the preferred choice since it works better and all 4 lower points mount where the lap belts mount.

There was an extensive discussion of all this in the RR/AX forum a few months ago, check it out. Look for posts by HBennett (he works with G Force Racing Gear) because he was involved in the discussion.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info MFE and I found the threads.

I feel much better about my upcoming install now.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts