Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey whats up guys, Just wanted to get some feeback from you regarding a stang that I am currently building. So far here is my combo

88 coupe 5.0 stock block, Speed density

BBK shorty headers
Off road H pipe
Dyno Max strait flow Mufflers
Ported Explorer upper&lower Intake
Mac Pullies
bbk adj. fuel prs. reg.
CAI
Oil cooler
4:10 in rear
LCA’s
boxed uppers
lift bars
TF twisted wedge
Hardened pushrods
1.6 lunati rr
double roller Timing chain

Here is my question I am going with either

crower 15511

Comp Cams XE 264 hr

Comp Cams XE 270 hr

and

Crane rollor lifter

all prices are from Summit. What do you guy's think about it and do you think those prices are fair? This is not a street car so I am not fully concerned with streetabilty but will be driving to the track so I need it to be reliable. I want to shift at red line 6k. If any of you guys have some guess as far as power or times please feel free I know there is only one way to find out but she won't be done for another 3 weeks. I just need to pick the right cam Thanks for any suggestions and comments.

Sam

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Several thousand dollars in parts and you are going to skimp a $100???:confused:

Why not just have a custom cam made for your combo?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I will not be skimping, I don't know what kind of cam and from my research on the boards these cam's seem to work well for the heads and other mod's.

How would I go about getting the correct spec's? Am I just supposed to call a custom grinder and say hey these are my mods make me a cam?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
saga273 said:

Am I just supposed to call a custom grinder and say hey these are my mods make me a cam?

Thanks,

Sam
Pretty much....they will want to know what you are going to do with the car, etc, and will probably make recommendations on any other things that may make your combo run better.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com do a search on here for Ed Curtis cams---lots of information on what he can do.

Brian at Hitech motorsports ground my cam. A search for hitech will yield you some information and probably contact info that I can't seem to find right now:)

edit: found it http://hitechmotorsport.com/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not knowledgeble enough to know if a custom grind is going to out perform a off the shelf cam enough to sway me that way. I will be changing out the cam in about 2 years but I am willing to pay a extra 100 bucks if it will give me say an additional 20hp.. What do you guys think, this ride is SD so I am limited in cams from what I have heard. On the other hand this is not a daily driver. What do you guys think and are there any parts that you think I should be looking into?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
saga273 said:
I am not knowledgeble enough to know if a custom grind is going to out perform a off the shelf cam enough to sway me that way. I will be changing out the cam in about 2 years but I am willing to pay a extra 100 bucks if it will give me say an additional 20hp.. What do you guys think, this ride is SD so I am limited in cams from what I have heard. On the other hand this is not a daily driver. What do you guys think and are there any parts that you think I should be looking into?
Call a cam grinder and see what they can do for you in regards to the SD. Don't get focused in on the peak horsepower. Check out some guys combos and see what they are running for times. Peak horsepower is good for bragging, but doesn't necessarily mean you will have a fast car for the street.

You should be able to find some pretty comparable combinations and look at the dyno graphs. I thought my cam had a pretty good cam for torque, but I saw a FTI cam dyno yesterday. He had impressive torque from about 2600 rpm to about 5400 rpm, nice and flat. Looks like it would be fun as hell on the street.

Take a look at this thread for the custom cam V. OTS cam. It will have alot of information that you will find relevant to exactly what you are trying to figure out.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404665&highlight=FTI+and+cam

·
Registered
164 Posts
Speed density needs enough vacuum at part throttle or you will flood the spark plugs. The 15511 will work with S/D even using 24# injectors with the stock computer program. As for custom cams I bet you contact 3 cam grinders and you will be told 3 different grinds. The point is a custom cam might be a little better but the OTS cam will still perform. Your using S/D so keep it simple, cheap, and fun. Contact someone like panhandle performance if you want to know what cam will work but using S/D really has you at a limit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Matthew said:
You should also consider the TFS stage 2, though I don't know how well it will work with speed density. Mine pulled about 14" of vacuum at idle with a similar setup.

-Matthew
14 won't do it..the car will be running pretty bad. I think the lowest I can go is something like 16-17 without to much trouble..I think I am going to do the Mass air swap..dang..there goes some more bucks..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by without a exhaust bias pattern?

I am going to do the mass air swap..I just purchased the wiring harness and a 73mm C&L looking for a computer

I have contacted Ed Curtis but have not heard back from him yet. Do you guys recommend contact other customer cam manufacturers? I want to get a feel for different people to work with..any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your reply's I have gone with Buddy Rawls..

I spoke to Ed Curtis on the phone once and emailed him twice but he did not seem to want to make the time to offer any feedback. It is unfortunate because I am sure he makes good stuff, but the service from Buddy and Ed where nigt and day.

On the other hand I have heard plenty of good things about Buddy and his service is excellent. He has had no trouble answering any questions either via email or on the phone..

As soon as I have the combo together (not for at least another month or two) I will updated you guys with the progress, some times and dyno results..thanks again

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I just ordered tw heads, 15511 cam, and 1.7rr that I will use with sd. If you hurry you can order twisted wedge heads for $940 using special part #sum-csum741 but there only on sale for Febuary so friday is the last day to order. I also had them price match the15511 for $250

·
Registered
15 Posts
What's up saga. This is your "neighbor" in Altadena with the silver lx hatch. I passed by your street today and saw the Stangs sitting in your driveway. My question is, which one do I need to avoid? lol :cool: Good luck on your projects man.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Focksbod said:
What's up saga. This is your "neighbor" in Altadena with the silver lx hatch. I passed by your street today and saw the Stangs sitting in your driveway. My question is, which one do I need to avoid? lol :cool: Good luck on your projects man.
What up Focksbod..The red one will be the killa..Trying to sell the blue one and the white one I drive everyday..My cam arrives monday so I will be out there trying to put her back together then it's on.. Do you ever head down to Irwindale to run?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts