Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 97 Cobra this afternoon and it has 32K miles and the owner has not done any mods to the car. My question is this, the clutch was pretty stiff, is this normal? This may be a really stupid question, but I drive a nissian maxima w/ 150K miles and its takes no effort to push in the clutch (which i'm sure the clutch is almost dead anyway).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone please reply, I am going to get the loan for this car tomorrow but I want to make sure nothing is wrong with it. The guy has a 19 yr. old son and I want to make sure he is not tearing anything up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It should be stiffer than your Nissan. If it feels squishy and stiff it probably needs a new clutch. I almost put my left foot through the floorboard of my GF's Honda the first time I drove it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The clutch should be pretty stiff, when I drive either my brother's focus or my dad's contour svt I can't believe how soft they are compared to the cobra.

I remember back when I first got my cobra that the first couple of days the muscles in my left leg were a little bit sore from depressing the clutch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
yes the clutch should be very stiff. I have a 98 Cobra with 76K on it and the clutch just got replaced this weekend(5-19-02) with a King Cobra clutch kit and you can really tell the difference.

The stock clutch has a pressure plate that need a lot of effort to push down, if you go with a aftermarket clutch that you can get that clutch effort to be much closer to your nissian.

The difference for me between the stock pedal feel and the King Cobra clutch pedal feel is day and night, the king Cobra clutch is 50% easier to push down.

Good luck on your new purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts