Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 1969 351w block and for some reason these pics dont look right. Should that gap be there or is part of the seal missing?

Let me know ASAP

Thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Pictures are not the best, but it looks like your rear main seal has been stolen.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
im really not trying to be a smart a$$ by saying this but you do realize that you have a 2 piece rear main right?

heres pics of mine, no if's and's or but's about it i know for a fact my rear main seal is installed and it looks no different than yours...

the reason i asked if you know its a 2 piece rear main is because these arnt like the 5.0 where the seal just pops out of the back and you just pop the new one in its place. 80-90% of a 2 piece seal is inside of the block and inside of the main cap so visually seeing it compared to a 1 piece seal is not even a comparsion.

you have to take the pan off, completely remove the rear main and loosen up the rest of the mains inorder to raise the crank to fish out the out that part of the seal and then the other half of the seal is in the rear main cap itself. when you replace it stagger the seal 3/16's or so outside of the grove so that the mating points of the seal are not flush with the block itself.

disregard if this is all information that you know but it made me wonder.... again im not trying to be a smart a$$

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YOU ARE MY FREAKN HERO!!!! No I knew it was a two piece seal but my machine guy assembled it for me and its just has been buggn me to death.

Once again thank you sir.

Later

·
Registered
716 Posts
no problem man, i took those pics a few weeks ago cause i was trying to figure out if that oil in the pic was coming from the rear main or the oil pan, i couldnt believe i still had them as i thought i deleted them soon after.... i put my money on the oil pan and put the engine back in the car, i got my fingers crossed that i was right.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Unless it's the camera angle, your input bushing looks FUBARed. Change it

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
1st picture, left side, main cap/block/pan junction appears to be a large gap/hole. You can see where the cork gasket stops. If that's a gap....oil will escape in large amounts. Is it just a bad picture?

·
Registered
716 Posts
i noticed that too in his pic, if you look in the 3rd though it appears that there is a butt load of sealant in that hole so im assuming its a bad angle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts