Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Pro 5.0 shifter in my Tremec and it feels a little notchy, espicially when going into 2nd . Is there a break in period ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds pretty normal:lol:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
when i put mine in it did feel a little strange but as long as it is installed right i wouldn't worry too much,you just have to get used to the way it feels,what shifter did you have? although i don't have a tremec the pro 5.0 on my t-5 was night and day compared to the stock shifter no more sloppiness and i never miss any shift. i've driven cars with tri-ax & ripper shifters and there is no comparison.just my .02$ hope it helps.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have the same thing, but I like it. It lets me know I am definetly in gear. Had mine on for about 6 months and it still feels like that!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yea mine does that too. I think I have about 1000 mi on the trans and shifter. It also grinds a wee bit when I power-shift third. There's a breakin pd on the trans but not the shifter.

My friend has a tremec with the steeda tri-ax shifter. I've driven the car a couple of times, and I think I like that shifter better. He says no-prob power-shifting 3rd. Maybe he's just better at that - don't know...

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Tremec/Pro 5.0 setup was really notchy at first, but after 1000 miles, it's much better. Now it is still heavy and notchy, but getting in gear is no problem. I have actually grown to like how "positive" it feels. I don't like the way a normal car feels anymore; they all feel like shifting cooked spaghetti ;) Then there's the peace of mind from having a bulletproof tranny and a steel shifter with stops . . .

·
Registered
665 Posts
ZSRacingGT said:
I just installed the Pro 5.0 shifter in my Tremec and it feels a little notchy, espicially when going into 2nd . Is there a break in period ?
This is not surprising if you replaced the stock Tremec shifter. The Tremec shifter has a rubber bushing that cushions the "feel" of the shifter coming up against resistance in the shift mechanism, synchos, etc. The bushing also reduces noise transmission.

The Pro 5.0 has no bushing, just steel to steel, so you feel everything intimately. Your actual shifting performance should not suffer in any way, and be more direct/positive during hard shifts.

Don't know how many miles are on your Tremec, but they're notorious for having a pretty long break-in period. They just keep on getting smoother and better as you use them. Usually takes a few thousand miles to reach the best they'll get.

Steve A.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the original shifter the Tremec3550 came with . My tremec is about 2 years old now with about a average 4,000 miles on it if im lucky because I usually drive my 5.0 on weekends and stuff. Well getting it into gears isn't really a problem just when like I said when your shifting from 1st to 2nd you gotta put a lil muscle into it =Þ . Also I used silicone thats good upto 400 degrees to seal the tranny & shifter together since high temp wasn't available,, Should I be okay ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.