Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep leaning back and forth over whether or not to get a blower after the headswap. I know I do want a roots-type blower if I do decide to get one. I don't want to produce insane amounts of boost (hell I'd be happy with 8-10lbs). And I mainly want the roots-type for the torque! :evil: :lol:

My question is, I've had my eye on the Saleen blower for a while now. And the new Series "V" blower looks even more tempting. Plus they come with the Saleen Powerflash computer, 42lbs injectors, 90mm MAF, bigger fuel pump, etc. Now I know it won't bolt onto my 98 heads (will it?). So how would that blower work out when swapping the 99+ heads onto my 98 GT? Will it bolt right on?

And I DO plan on getting some forged pistons to help in lowering compression (I would like it to be less than 9:5), but do not know what kind or where to purchase any. And I plan on some stainless steel valves and oversized valve springs (do I need these?). With these parts could I safely run that blower with the PI heads? And the blower does come with a intercooler I believe, so that'll help out too.

And do you have to purchase the Saleen blowers directly from Saleen? I believe it's roughly around $3500 or so for the Series "V".

D

·
0 Posts
I have the Saleen blower and decided to do the headswap. The heads will fit but the runner ports do not align exactly. I could have done some grinding but decided to buy new intake ($500).

I should get the new heads by the end of May.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
And do you have to purchase the Saleen blowers directly from Saleen? I believe it's roughly around $3500 or so for the Series "V".
I'm sorry you are thinking about the series II. Prices for the series V are not yet known. Yes on the forged internals. If you ever get a series V, I hear it's capable of 20# of boost. I think the s281E engines will be available as crate engines.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I did mean the Series II. Did they ever come out with the pricing on the Series V yet? How much boost is the Series II capable of? And do they have to be bought directly from Saleen?

Any other forged parts I should add to the list besides the pistons, valves, and springs? What are a good, but not terribly expensive set of forged pistons?

I figured you would probably have to port match the blower intake to the PI heads, is this true?

How much power should someone be putting out with PI heads and the Series II blower? Plus the usual bolt-ons?

And about the crate engine, is that thing expensive? I'm sure it is. My guess would be close to $5000-6000. Or would I come out cheaper buying the crate engine?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Black1998GT said:
Any other forged parts I should add to the list besides the pistons, valves, and springs? What are a good, but not terribly expensive set of forged pistons?
Connecting rods for sure. Crank maybe.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the S281 crate engine already come with forged internals and the blower? If so, I believe I might come out cheaper buying the crate engine instead of piecing everything together.

Headswap $1500
Blower $3500
forged Parts $1000-1500 roughly
Labor $2000 estimate

Total = :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Black1998GT,
I say get a procharger. Massive TQ and more boost potential.
Look at my numbers.

Seth

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How are you safely running the Procharger with the headswap? :confused:
And if you don't mind me asking, what was the total price tag on your setup?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Black1998GT

I have a forged engine from Houston Performance. It is very safe. I got dished pistons so when I put them with my 01 heads my compression is about 9 to 1. That is perfect for a blower. According to Houston Perf, that engine is rated for power levels up to 650hp. As for the cost, the engine was over $3000, the blower was over $3000, the heads were $1200 for parts and $600 for porting. Then the labor to which I cant remember exactly.
Anyway I dont know anything about the new saleen blower, all I know is the procharger puts out a lot of TQ and I am happy with it.

Seth

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would I be better off buying a new, forged shortblock from somewhere like SHM or D.S.S.? They are around $3000 and include forged pistons and rods.

Then could I just bolt on the PI heads and Saleen blower and not worry about blowing it up?

Oh and one reason I want a roots blower is because I don't want everyone to know I got a blower. Because a couple I've heard, you can't even hear the exhaust.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a roots blower and highly recommend it if you don't see the track. I get full boost at around 2200 rpm. It's great. The torque numbers surpass anything else. It's very reliable. It just doesn't have the high hp potential. YOu can still get 350-400 rwhp but you won't be seeing 500rwhp or anything like that.

BOS96GT.....you have a PM

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I don't want 500+HP! :eek:
I'd be happy with 375-400HP.

And my friend has a T-bird supercoupe with the Kenne Bell type blower. I love driving it! It may not be as powerful as other S/C'd cars, but it's no slouch for a daily driven V6.
As soon as you mash the pedal, INSTANT BOOST! 9-10lbs! And some nice torque to boot.

That's why I want a roots. And I hardly ever see the track. I'm more for the fun factor at the track than the times and numbers. Because I sure as hell can't drive worth a flip at the track! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts