Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to raise my whole car on jackstands. It's a 94 gt convertible. Can you place a floor jack under the rear end housing, and front crossmember without causing dammage to either. Everything I have read says no. Use only at lift points.
I realize the jackstands must go on lift points.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd put the fronts under the front of the subframe or at the K-member where the a-arms attatch. The rears under the axle tubes or at the rear of the rear subframes. I've had jacks and jackstands at all of these locations and never had any troubles.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You are not supposed to raise a car with a 8.8 by the centersection. You take a chance of bending the rear axle tubes. I used to do it by the jack under the center, but now I raise one side at a time. What I do is place a short piece of 2X4 on the floor jack, and raise it at the pinch weld, then put the jack stand under the torque box and front frame member, just to the rear of the front wheel well. And repeat on the other side.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i never knew you could harm the 8.8 by jacking the car up???

where did you hear that?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i don't have a manual...

could you explain this???

i have seen MANY MANY shops jack cars up by the pumkin on tons of rear wheel drive cars

·
Registered
325 Posts
Read your instruction manual you got w/your car. It specifically tells you that.
It specifically tells me to fully disengage the clutch and let off the gas when shifting gears, too.;)

The lip on the housing can break.
I'll buy that. If you really catch it wrong, you could also ruin the cover. Already seen that one done.

BTW, how you plan on lifting that new 8.8 housing into place? One of the automotive tool companies has an attachment for floor jacks that has some fancy notches in it to prevent it from catching the cover or the lip of the housing. I can't remember where I saw it though.

·
Registered
791 Posts
SlowGT said:
BTW, how you plan on lifting that new 8.8 housing into place? One of the automotive tool companies has an attachment for floor jacks that has some fancy notches in it to prevent it from catching the cover or the lip of the housing. I can't remember where I saw it though.

You can install your 8.8 by yourself by using a small jack and piling bricks. Watch your fingers!
:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Johns331 said:
You are not supposed to raise a car with a 8.8 by the centersection. You take a chance of bending the rear axle tubes. I used to do it by the jack under the center, but now I raise one side at a time. What I do is place a short piece of 2X4 on the floor jack, and raise it at the pinch weld, then put the jack stand under the torque box and front frame member, just to the rear of the front wheel well. And repeat on the other side.
I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone have a picture of the "pinch weld" or could you describe where it is?

I'm trying to find the best place to jack the rear end up, and most say to avoid lifting from the pumpkin.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I've been working on cars for 25 years and I have NEVER ONCE seen a rear end damaged from using the diff as a jack point, other than possibly bending the cover flange which is operator error. Just use the diff.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
MFE said:
I've been working on cars for 25 years and I have NEVER ONCE seen a rear end damaged from using the diff as a jack point, other than possibly bending the cover flange which is operator error. Just use the diff.
I'm with MFE on this one. I jack the rear of my '89 'vert almost daily for maintenance, trouble shooting, & testing reasons with no ill effects what so ever. The cover had been damaged by a previous shop or my mom,( I'm leaning towards a shop;) ), & I straightened it out after changing the rear diff fluid a couple months ago. Although the cover was bent; it still did not leak around that area one bit. I have yet to bend the cover while jacking up the rear........

·
Registered
669 Posts
I ahve always jacked up the rear by the diff. I just tried jacking the front by the K-member and that was quite honestly the easiest, painfree method to get the front of the car off the ground I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I've always jacked the rear end up by the differential and jacked the front of the car up by the center of the K-frame. I've yet to damage a vehicle by doing that.

Your rear differential housing takes more abuse by you hitting a pothole than you jacking it up by the differential.

·
Registered
751 Posts
it also tells you not to drive over the speed liimit!!!! lol j/k

ive always used the pumkin if i need to get under there for a reason and put the jackstands in front of where the LCA's attach ..ive never done harm but i believe you could if you caught the girdle the wrong way

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Another vote for the pumpkin method. I've been doing it on my car and the previous Mustang, along with all my friend's cars too. I never even thought of it as being a danger, but I can see how it's possible. I've got a TA girdle on my car now, so I'll make sure to pay really close attention to what I'm doing from now on. I don't feel like droppin' another $140 for a new one.

PS - Who ever uses their owners manual for anything besides fuse locations? LOL.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been jacking both of mine up by the pumpkin and the center of the K member for 10 yrs. And I will continue to unless of course I bend the axle tubes... Then I will stop. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts