Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so Im driving to work and there is a pop and the car dies. It wont start again so I pull the coil wire to check for spark. No spark. I checked all the electrical stuff, no problems. Swapped coils, that didnt help. So I pull the distributor cap and turn the motor over. The rotor isnt turning. I pulled the distributor to check the gear on the distributor and the gear on the cam. Both are fine. So with the distributor out we turn the motor over. The cam is not turning. :(

I get the timing cover off and the bolt that holds the cam gear on has backed out letting the gear slide on the pin and bending the pin pretty bad, but not breaking it. The bolt also cracked the timing cover, but thats no problem, I have another one.

So here is my question.....Do you think I might have bent some valves or pushrods? I turned the motor over a few times atfter it let go and I didnt hear any odd noises or anything, so I want to say it didnt.

I am running AFR 185 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves and a .565/.574 lift cam and SRP flat top pistons on a 347ci motor. Just looking for some opinions...thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
probably ok just have to run compression test when back together,that bolt will back out if you put the washer on backwards.i always put a little red loctite on mine also.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROG30Y said:
probably ok just have to run compression test when back together,that bolt will back out if you put the washer on backwards.i always put a little red loctite on mine also.
Oh Ill be using a lot of Loc Tite this time :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the same thing happen after I put my motor together. Put loktite on after that happened. I found out later when I spun a bearing that it did bend a couple valves but not enough to make it real noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pull both valve covers and rotate each cylinder through it's TDC. If you bent any valves, you will likely find a loose rocker-arm associated with a bent valve. That's not all though. You might have just tapped a valve and bent it a little. Next step is to run a compression test as was stated by someone earlier.

Weird problem and I have never seen it happen myself. `Course I have only been racing for somewheres around 30 years now.. Give it time! :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Im planning on pulling the intake and valve covers to loosen the rockers and get the cam back in time with the crank. Im going to run a compression test that way and see if anything is bent. If so then its new valved, .600 lift springs and port the heads while they are out. That might help me hit 400 on the motor. :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got one of the valve covers off to loosen the rockers and rotate the cam. I pulled the pushrods to check to see if any were bent before I tried a compression test and this is what I found....

Thats just the drivers side, more to come tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like this is gonna get a tad bit expensive Dave... :(

Make sure you look those pistons over carefully after you clean them up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I figure Im looking at new pushrods, valves and lifters for sure. Im going to get the .600 lift valve springs installed and probably get the heads ported while they are off. Then its just random stuff Ill have to pay for like gaskets and stuff.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts