Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I had a pair of Nitto 555's mounted and balanced on my front rims. I went with the 245/24 17 on the stock rims. After I left the shop I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel. I know the car has straight alignment but the steering wheel seems to shim back and forth from left to right. I took the car back in a couple days later and had the tires rebalanced. Of course it was due to a bad balance. But the last couple of weeks now it has been acting up again. If I let my hands off the steering wheel the car stays straight, but the steering wheel vibrates back and forth about an inch. Any ideas what this could be? I'm not sure if the tires are still not balanced properly or is there possibly some damper that can be adjusted to tighten up the feel of the steering wheel. :confused: Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like a defective tire. I would have the front tires balanced on a "ROAD FORCE" balancer. This balancer puts 1000 #'s on the tread face during balancing. It has a super computer in it that can see a defect 2 miles away.

I'm sure it's a fairly expensive balancer. My local Lincoln/Mercury dealer just got one in the last 6 months, so you may have to look around..

(Take my word for it, it ROCKS.)

--Ed

·
Registered
788 Posts
TIRES

Listen to 1FSTCAT, a road force balancer will perform wonders. I would have the tires inspected by somebody that knows what he's doing to make sure you don't have a bad tire..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.