Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just picked up an 86 lx 5.0 coupe. Its in decent shape and the only mod is 3.73's. Still has silencer and paper filter!
First are 86 lx coupes rare?
Second, how much power can be gained by simply switching the tb and upper/lower intake from an 87-93? Will e7te heads work with the 86 cam? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Brett '91 GT CONV said:
First are 86 lx coupes rare?

Yeah, they are sorta rare!

Not sure how much power the 87-93 intake makes over the 86 intake. The lower intakes are the same from what i read, so all you really need to do is swap the upper intake/EGR and use a 60mm Tb from the same 87-93 years. You can find them cheap. No more than $50 for all that...most likely less. But any aftermarket intake outflows the stockers obvoiusly.

Not sure about the heads...may be issues with the valves and piston clearances. If you are swapping heads, why not swap the cam while you are there?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
5-10HP for the upper intake/TB/Spacer swap.

Yes the E7s will fit the 86 Flat tops. Stay with the stock cam and you will be fine.

Im swapping over all this stuff on "stocker" and shooting for 13s in an AOD 86GT.

Do a search on the subject and you will find loads of info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 86GT with the stock flat top pistons also. I've done a lot of research on this and discovered you can even buy aftermarket heads with this setup. TFS heads are the way to go. The TFS heads have their valves in different from stock locations. The valves are higher up in the combustion chamber too. This means that any clearance issues with an '86 shortblock would also apply to newer 5.0's with factory notched pistons. The TFS valves do not line up with the valve reliefs in the newer 5.0's. You can also go with the TFS stage 1 cam if you use 1.6 rr. If you stay with the stock cam, you could go with 1.7 rr.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. It looks to me that sticking with the stock cam is almost certain to work with e7's on the 86.
I have a spare 88 motor and I wanted to know this before I sold the parts from it to my friend with the 86.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts