Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have box Edel 6037's that are 3 years old and I'm going to port them and get a valve job. Is a 3 angle good for a blower car? 2nd... what is a typical vavle job run with parts? 3rd...if there is something else you would suggest for a Bell car as far as heads/porting or vavle job, please mention it.

Thanks

Mize

·
Registered
600 Posts
The valve job controls (threshold) on how air enters and leaves the chamber. It is very important and one of the last areas of "black magic" there is for cylinder head porters and designers. A valve job can be 30 more CFM of air from head to head. The seat angle is generally a 45 but that has changed some. You just need a shop that has a rep of doing quality work. No parts are involved unless the seats and guides are worn out. Just a valve job expect to pay around $100.

CStraub

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent!

So, if the seats stay good, you really never need a valve job? Let me ask you this. What is valve float? I started to get alot of oil out of my breather this past year. The baffle is gone from inside the valve cover, but I never had the amount of oil i was getting this year. How about compression? I am going to do a compression test. What numbers am I looking for per cylinder? Do you know?

Thanks for the quick help.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No, the seats get worn and the angles have to be replaced. If the seat is wore out the seat has to be replaced. Valve float occurs at upper rpm and is when the lifter keeps the valve in a vibrating action that kills the seat and destroys valve springs. Not good. Compression test I would take before pulling the heads, you can tell what kind of "sealing" you have. Important thing is all cylinders must be within 5%. If not engine needs to come down.

Cstraub

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5% of what number? What is the number I want? I did one along time ago, but I forgot what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
456 Posts
of each other. They should all just show about the same is what he means. If this one hits 150 psi or something and the next 35, you have problems.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's gotta be a certain number though. 150-160-170? What tells me if they are holding good compression?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not really. The test is to see what the engine has and if 1 or 2 cylinders are very different you have problems. But there is not a baseline to shoot for. I've got NA engines that pump 140 and I have them that pump 220.

CStraub

1 - 9 of 9 Posts